P212S questions

Ira

Assuming two or more P212S power supplies in a recessed 14" Elk enclosure, and all being used at near capacity...

1. Can multiple P212S's be powered by a single Elk TRG1640 transformer? If so, how many?

2. Can multiple P212S's be connected to the same battery (maybe a larger battery that a single P212S would need)? I have a standby generator, so I don't have power outages longer than 30 seconds, unless something really bad has happened.

Thanks,
Ira

Ira said:
Assuming two or more P212S power supplies in a recessed 14" Elk enclosure, and all being used at near capacity...

1. Can multiple P212S's be powered by a single Elk TRG1640 transformer? If so, how many?

2. Can multiple P212S's be connected to the same battery (maybe a larger battery that a single P212S would need)? I have a standby generator, so I don't have power outages longer than 30 seconds, unless something really bad has happened.

Thanks,
Ira

1. No, each P212S needs its own transformer since a single transformer is only able to provide enough power for a single P212S.

2. No, each P212S needs its own, separate battery. If you connect more than one charger to a battery,  when charging, they will "fight" each other.

As an aside, if you're going to have an install that requires more than a single 212, I've found it's easier to just buy the larger supply and battery instead of installing them, unless you truly need the remote relay reset capability.

DELInstallations said:
As an aside, if you're going to have an install that requires more than a single 212, I've found it's easier to just buy the larger supply and battery instead of installing them, unless you truly need the remote relay reset capability.

I generally agree with this statement, but in my situation, I have 2 different p212's in separate cans in my home.  Although I may regret not putting a larger supply in one of my boxes, its hard to say how you're going to use a system as it evolves over the years.

Then again, your statement about wanting to share transformers would imply you already have a pair of conductors sized large enough to carry a significant load.....so I'd still say it's better and easier to buy a larger supply to provide enough headroom.

Don't get me wrong, I have put in plenty of 212's on smaller systems, but for the cost vs. value standpoint and output, you can get a Altronix or similar that has double the output and the same overall supervision, less a direct DC battery test cycle (which I haven't been too impressed on the 212 over the years).

Hell, I have 4 separate power supplies on my system distributed, however that was part of the topology I wired due to construction and migrating from an Ademco based install.

Back