Hello from Toronto - help needed!

homeAnewbie

We just moved into the house which has 7 years old  HAI equipment for alarm, light, temperature and sound management. Just learning the ropes of the operating the equipment, the 'mysterious' behavior of the OmniStat2 (model RC-2000) thermostats (yes, there are 2 separate units, each managing its own zone in the house). There are 2 sets of AC and air handlers, integrated with the Triangle Tube Combination boiler through the Taco zoning box.

The problem is described below, temperature is in C (Celsius), thermostat OmniStat2, firmware version 1.04. It's been pretty hot and humid in Toronto recently, so have turn AC on. The thermostat settings are Hold: On; Fan:Auto; Mode: Cool; temperature: 22C; in-house temperature: 23.5. Runs in cool mode for few hours, in-room temperature is coming down to 22.5C. Then the furnace got turned on, hot are coming out through the vents. Upon inspection, Taco box is showing the appropriate heat zone is engaged) Display on the OnmiStat is still showing Mode: Cool, while the furnace was getting on. Have to set the Mode to Off to shut the system, wait for an hour or so and restart in the Mode: Cool; the situation repeats itself few times a day with both thermostats, although at slightly different times. 

I can't locate the source that overrides the thermostat settings, HAI automation (through the inspected PC Access program settings and automation tab) does not show any program overriding the thermostat. Have done the thermostat on the main floor only reset; the behavior described above does not change; now the message 'Energy Level: Low' is displayed at all times.

I have checked the Installation Settings on the thermostat (identical for both):
System Setting: Type - Conventional ; Mode: Auto Changeover

Question: Should I change the System Setting Mode to Manual ?

What are the recommendations on how to reign in thermostat behavior.

Thank you very much!

Welcome to Cocoontech HomeAnewbie!!!

There are many HAI Omni panel users on the forum.  A few from the 1990's and first generation serial panel here.

Over the years (and homes) went from the original RC80 to OmniStat2 version of the thermostat.

Did at one time have the power stealing issue crop up and purchased an HAI board with an Elk Transformer way long time ago with the RC80.  The newer Omnistat2 is still connected to the same board (moved it furnace to furnace).

Here mostly due to WAF thermostat remains in the manual mode and a hold is configured whether summer or winter.

I do utilize a combination of PCAcess and automation software to manage my panel a bit here.

A while back in the middle 2000's did have some communications issues with the software / Omni stat going a bit willy nilly here.

Serial software got fixed then later in the 2000's would get a network issue (disconnect) which would throw off the time on the OP2 panel and really mess with the Thermostat values and settings and Omnitouch screens. 

Relating to...

have checked the Installation Settings on the thermostat (identical for both):
System Setting: Type - Conventional ; Mode: Auto Changeover

Question: Should I change the System Setting Mode to Manual ?

I have mine set to Manual mode using most current release of Leviton Omni firmware for the OmniPro 2 panel.

Have a read on the installation manual for the Omnistat 2 here:

RC2000 Omnistat 2 manual

or

if using the Omnistat RC thermostat have a look here:

RC80 manual

Note you cannot break anything pushing the buttons for the installation pieces of the thermostat.
The RC80 was a bit more cryptic than the Omnistat2.

Here the Omnistat is of high priority with the WAF stuff.

Welcome to Cocoontech msayewich.

I see from the above you 

Got a new house I'm ripping down to the studs.

and

Looking at the Elk and Homeseer software.

Personally and initially I would look at the installation of the infrastructure base to take care of you security / automation needs.

Stuff like electrical power switch boxes, circuits - circuit protection and low voltage needs which can be security, multimedia, automation, et al. - network, lighting design, heating and cooling  et al. 

Hey guys, I am also from Toronto looking for some home automation tips. I hope this is the right place and thanks for having me...

Welcome to Cocoontech Shelly1Palmer!

I took my children on vacation to Toronto some 20 years ago...(well and Niagara falls). 

It was a nice place to visit.

Are you familiar with CIBC?  Just a curiousity question.

pete_c said:
Welcome to Cocoontech Shelly1Palmer!

I took my children on vacation to Toronto some 20 years ago...(well and Niagara falls). 

It was a nice place to visit.

Are you familiar with CIBC?  Just a curiousity question.

Toronto is still there.  The Falls, too!  ;)

CIBC is one of the big Canadian banks.  What is your question?

Craig

Thank you Pete_C

Will try to get and install the latest Leviton firmware for OmniPro 2.

Additional question: there were power outages couple times in the past weeks and 2 messages 'COMMUNICATOR HAD TRBL" and :AC PWR OFF HAD TRBL" are appearing on the OnmiPro 2 control panel (but the OMNITouch screen does not show the messages). What does it mean and what to do?

Thanks a lot!

I see these messages on the Omni Keypad and Omnitouch 5.7 screens with loud beeps.  They are just an issue with your DCM or power.  Same as when your phone line has issues.  You will see a phone line dead message.

Just hit the "*" to clear the message and stop the beeping.

Back