5 replies to this topic

#1 kwschumm

kwschumm

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:05 PM

For a new build I need to run network and surveillance cables up a low voltage wiring shaft into the attic and then out to the destination.

Of course the wiring shaft needs to be sealed at the top for fire code.

I was thinking that sealing the shaft with plywood and installing pass through couplers through the plywood would be a great way to do this. Never did like rework-ability of spray foam. This is my house so the incremental higher cost won't be an issue.

I'm a little concerned about losing some signal integrity through the use of them though.

Anyone ever done this before?

#2 wuench

wuench

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Harmony, Open Source Automation
  • Hardware:Elk M1, ISY-99
  • Tech:INSTEON, Z-Wave
  • Audio:Sonos
  • Video:Custom
  • CCTV:ip
  • Phone:OBi100/110

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:35 PM

Most  data centers I have seen use solid foam that expands in a fire to block the chases...  This is the closest I could find.

https://www.cableorg...op-devices.html

Edited by wuench, 31 January 2018 - 06:37 PM.

#3 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 8504 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Main Lobby, Open Source Automation
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL, ALC
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:MythTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, Ooma, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

My electrical conduit going to the attic used expando foam and when I ran network cabling from the basement to the attic in the two story and used expando foam too.  All the CCTV under the second floor eaves came from the attic.  I built a chase from the basement to the attic.

I did once have an issue with the 120VAC smokes on the second floor due to moisture dripping down from the attic to the metal cans used for the smokes. 

#4 drvnbysound

drvnbysound

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2857 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:Z-Wave
  • Audio:Custom
  • Video:SageTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:20 PM

I've been in some commercial spaces where I've seen 4" conduit sealed with a fire putty; apparently named intumescent putty according to the link wuench shared above. Literally, exactly like shown in many photos on that page where the cable simply passes though the conduit w/o termination...  like this: 
https://www.cableorg...-firestop-kits/

#5 Neurorad

Neurorad

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2599 posts
  • Experience:novice
  • Tech:RadioRA2
  • Audio:Nuvo

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:58 PM

Duct Seal is another brand of conduit putty, to block the spread of fire (and bugs), in conduit.

#6 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4877 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Elve
  • Hardware:Elk M1, RUC-01
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:XBMC
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:3CX, Asterisk, FreePBX, Grandstream, Ooma

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:43 AM

I've used the jacks you're talking about at times - but never for that application.  In theory you lose a little signal but with just one in the mix, you'd be fine.  However, they are another connection point - they can get dirty over the years and deteriorate the connection quality, especially in a dirty unconditioned space.  Plus, if you have a bad insertion, how far will that wire fall back into the wall?

Personally I'd run everything now in a single conduit and seal it up as suggested above - but also leave 2-3 extra tubes coming up that are just capped and not plugged with fire putty - so if you choose to use them in the future, you can run the next bundle up, then seal them as well (lets be honest; homeowners never worry about code once the inspector leaves; they'd just use it as an open conduit for the future).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users