Which heat detectors for shop and garage?

kwschumm

Looking for heat detectors for a garage and separate shop to connect hard-wired to an HAI system.

I'm looking at SystemSensor 5601P sensors but I'm not sure which temperature rating would be applicable.

Garage is insulated but unconditioned space.

Shop is insulated and conditioned and there will be welding and propane torches used in there.

Any recommendations of temperature rating (135 or 194) and rate of rise for these applications?

Thanks!

I use 194 degree detectors with rate-of-rise in my welding shop (conditioned space), wood shop (conditioned space) and unheated machine shed. I have unintentionally set off the rate-of-rise detection in the machine shed by firing up a torpedo heater under one of the detectors (didn't do that again).

another consideration is whether you want rate-of-rise (ROR).
If your garage us unconditioned (which I'm guessing means not air-conditioned), then it probably makes sense to have this.
I had a false alarm once with a ROR detector in an air conditioned space near a door. On a very hot day, when the door opened and blew hot air, the detector alarmed.
That 5601P model number you cite does indeed have ROR. They make others that don't, both at 135 and 194.

Yes, the shop is heated and air conditioned and the garage is not (but it is very well insulated).

I was going with 135 degree detectors, but it makes sense that increasing it to 194 degrees with a ROR might be less prone to false alarms.

Thanks!

If in doubt, go with 194. For ROR, just use some common sense on the mounting location. Keep the away from heat generating appliances. In a garage watch out for over a car hood, near a water heater or furnace, etc. On the other-hand, you probably want to put them near a furnace or water heater because those are the things most likely to set on fire.  Usually 5 feet away I think is a good compromise.  I've never had a problem at that distance.

Back