Direct Marantec Garage Door Opener Control

kwschumm

We're building a house with three garage doors, each with a Marantec garage door openers.

These openers have connections for remote control gadgets, for example the GarageIO product, ADT, and others. I don't want to pay for a service, or for an extra product, or have yet another app on my phone if I can hook it directly to a panel (Omnipro II in my case).

Looking at the GarageIO installation it looks like there is a two wire connection between the GarageIO product and opener.

Anyone know the details of this two wire interface? Form C, voltage, or some comm protocol?

I do not know your opener but with my Liftmaster switches the door opener button is not a simple dry contact switch that you can simply control using an output/relay from an alarm system panel. If it does turn out that you are in a similar situation there is a simple solution.

I was able to wire a relay from my Elk control panel to a handheld door remote control. I just opened the case and poked around to determine where I could connect control wires in parallel to the button in the remote. You can usually tell by tracing the printed circuit from the push button to the PC board in the remote. Then when you tell the panel to activate that output it closes the switch on the remote activating the door opener.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
I do not know your opener but with my Liftmaster swithces the door opener button is not a simple dry contact switch that you can simply control using an output/relay from an alarm system panel. If it does turn out that you are in a similar situation there is a simple solution.

I was able to wire a relay from my Elk control panel to a handheld door remote control. I just opened the case and poked around to determine where I could connect control wires in parallel to the button in the remote. You can usually tell by tracing the printed circuit from the push button the the PC board in the remote. then when you tell the panel to activate that output it closes the switch on the remote activating the door opener.

Mike.

Thanks for the great idea. Doesn't seem like it would be difficult to open up one of their 3-button remotes and momentarily close the button contacts with relays. Put the whole shebang in a nice little enclosure and it might even look professional!

I wish that I could say that I invented that idea but I got it here a year or more ago and it still works great. If you search around the site you might still be able to find it in the archives.

I added an output expander board to my Elk system and placed it in the garage. With that I can control those outputs and hence the doors via Elk's automated programming language. Now I can control the doors using an app on my smart phone or programatically at any given time of day via Elk programming. I remember that there was some debate as to whether it was acceptable to close a door automatically because it could close on an object or a person.

Mike.

Back