Load audio clip into M1G without home phone

Linwood

Is there any way to put an audio clip into the M1G without using the record feature for a phone line? 

I don't even have a phone line any more (use cellular and internet combined).  While I can set something up it's a bit of a pain, is there another way to upload a custom audio clip? 

I’d like to know this too. Seems there must be a way even if it’s a workaround. Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The phone option seemed  dumb 10 years ago when I loaded my custom doorbell sound juggling phone, player and keypad.    There are (were?) devices that will allow you to attach audio in to phones, but the audio  quality is still  crap from  what  I remember  I had one, gave up and just used the phone mic.  Hence my scratchy Jetsons theme doorbell..

The only other option I know of is to get the sound card + sound input module (Elk 124+ Elk 129)....

I went the Elk124 route hooked to the onboard 8 voltage-only outputs.  The recording module (The 129 I think) also turned out to be COMPLETELY useless (in fact, I just found my 129 sitting in a box the other day; never installed with the alarm at the second house).  There's a record button you can press to record and let go of when finished - then it instantly plays back what was just recorded so you can see if you got it right.  A lot of times, I just plugged my cell phone into the jack and hit play while simultaneously hitting the Record button - that was the easiest thing to carry into the closet to work.

I wired this in parallel with my Elk speakers for a Jetson's and Westminster doorbell which both sounded great;  also did Halloween sounds - I did 3 different sounds that'd alternate each time I opened the door (creaking door sounds, howling witches, etc) - and the sound was as good as you could ever expect out of those little speakers behind the keypads - I'll very likely do it again at this new house, except instead of keypad speakers, it'll go to the whole house speakers.

I too looked at the phone recording options - and I had the device Wuench mentioned (something like this) that could inject audio over the handset - it should sound better than the handset mic, but probably never as good as the 124.

OK, the good news is I found out I just needed a phone hooked up, I did not need dial tone.  I thought it was going to require that I call in and it answer, but you can just have a phone hooked up.

So I re-patched my old panasonic wireless (but wired to the closet) phone into the M1G and was able to record.  Took about 20 tries holding a cell phone playing a ringtone and trying to hit record and stop at the right time, but got a lousy quality ring, but better than the spoken word.  Maybe usable, waiting for wife's opinion.

I did get an LED doorbell button to work fine, didn't use a resister (couldn't get one inside with the LED, and couldn't find a combination that seemed to work in parallel or series with it).  The M1G seems to think the LED is an EOL resistor though, and set on that setting it works fine (probably not the way Elk intended, but fine). 

Just wish I had a better quality tone for the bell.  Well, that, and a money trained to go pull the wire for me -- it's HOT in the attic in the summer in SW Florida.

Back