email privacy

mikefamig

Can anyone here recommend an email service that is any more private than another? I've had att.net for many years which is yahoo which is oath now. I also have google gmail but I use att.net as my primary.

Any suggestions?

Mike.

Been happy here with GMail and Microsoft Outlook basic free email. 

Quit using Verizon and Comcast and ATT email a few years back.

Well also have an email associated with my dot net account .....almost 20 years now..

I do not know if one is more private than another.

Register your own domain and you can get really cheap (web) hosting with GoDaddy and others ($2.50 to $5.00 per month) that include e-mail.  You get imap/smtp access plus a webmail interface with absolutely and no ads and no skimming/reading your messages for meta data.

42etus said:
Secure email.................isn't that an oxymoron. Ask Hillary, she'll know

Well I'm not trying to hide my emails from being stolen and published. I'm more concerned with my ISP reading the mails for targeted marketing purposes and whatever else they find a way to make money with them. That bothers me.

Mike.

JonW said:
Register your own domain and you can get really cheap (web) hosting with GoDaddy and others ($2.50 to $5.00 per month) that include e-mail.  You get imap/smtp access plus a webmail interface with absolutely and no ads and no skimming/reading your messages for meta data.

I'm not looking for a domain name or web hosting and it looks like encrypted email is not included, it's a $4/month add-on.

https://www.godaddy.com/email/email-encryption

Mike.

RAL said:
Some of my friends use FastMail and are happy with it.  It isn't free, but the prices aren't too steep.

Fastmail  has loads of rave reviews online as far as the email service goes but I've read mixed reviews about their phone support. But then which email provider has good phone support? Try to get Yahoo to pick up a phone.

Mike.

On the topic of privacy -

I subscribed to a year of PIA "private internet access" VPN and am not that impressed with it. It does what it claimed to do but is slow. It seemed faster to me during the 1 month trial period and I have seen claims online that they throttle your bandwidth after you subscribe. It is not something that I will just leave running all of the time, it's just too slow.

Mike.

mikefamig said:

I'm not looking for a domain name or web hosting and it looks like encrypted email is not included, it's a $4/month add-on.

https://www.godaddy.com/email/email-encryption

Mike.

That e-mail encryption is a totally separate product.  With that, your messages are delivered to a secure portal that the recipient must access to get them.  

Domains are cheap, portable and you can keep the same e-mail address for life (and setup other members of the family under the same domain).  I have the .com and .net domains of my last name.  Everyone in our family uses [email protected].  I've had the same e-mail address for over 20 years now.

JonW said:
That e-mail encryption is a totally separate product.  With that, your messages are delivered to a secure portal that the recipient must access to get them.  

Domains are cheap, portable and you can keep the same e-mail address for life (and setup other members of the family under the same domain).  I have the .com and .net domains of my last name.  Everyone in our family uses [email protected].  I've had the same e-mail address for over 20 years now.

But what is their privacy policy? Do they share and/or sell info?

Mike.

Same here using a domain name paid for every 5 years. Calling for my renewal every time the rates have stayed low.

Never see spam on this account. Never use this account for any internet site registration.

Basically the free emails stay free these past few years using the email databases. AOL Yahoo, Google, Outlook and all ISP emails are the same these days.

Using TOR would work a bit better maybe. It would be slow though.

Back