Elk M1 System Status repeats every 8 seconds always zero

ElkM1User

I have an Elk M1 gold installation. I have a new problem where the system status (SS) message is send (from Elk M1) every 8 seconds, and all the fields are zeroes.  It does this for hours, and then suddenly stops.  Then it will start up again.  Should the system status show a '1' in the field where there is a problem?  All system status fields are ZERO.   Nothing but all zeroes, for hours at a time.  Every 8 seconds another "SS0000000..." message comes thru. This information is from monitoring the nonsecure port 2101.  Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?  All normal activity is displayed thru port 2101 without issue.  

Do you have something that is sending Request Trouble Status messages to the M1? 

The M1 will send a trouble status message automatically when there is a status change.  That could be all zeros if the status changes from having trouble to the trouble being cleared.  But that would lead to the question of why aren't there any messages showing trouble in the first place.

Have you checked the  power supply voltage and backup battery voltage?  Voltage problems can lead to strange behavior.

Check the AC power input voltage, which should be 16-19VAC, and the VAUX voltage, which should be about 13.8VDC.  The backup battery should also be about 13.8VDC.

Another thing to try is powering down the M1 (disconnect the AC power and the battery) and then reconnect and power up again.

Voltages all read normal.  I have noticed that this error will occur for hours at a time, and then suddenly stop when I open the garage door (magnetic sensor) or pet door (transistor driven sensor output).  I am running Elk firmware 5.3.0.  Having this error on two different circuits sounds suspiciously like a firmware problem.  I get other clearly firmware related issues like random output changes not consistent with the automation rules, and random zone changes on garage door circuit.  Shouldn't I consider updating to latest firmware?  I don't think either of these things are specifically mentioned in firmware upgrade notes, but I don't have the upgrade notes for 5.3.8 so who knows.

ElkM1User said:
Voltages all read normal.  I have noticed that this error will occur for hours at a time, and then suddenly stop when I open the garage door (magnetic sensor) or pet door (transistor driven sensor output).  I am running Elk firmware 5.3.0.  Having this error on two different circuits sounds suspiciously like a firmware problem.  I get other clearly firmware related issues like random output changes not consistent with the automation rules, and random zone changes on garage door circuit.  Shouldn't I consider updating to latest firmware?  I don't think either of these things are specifically mentioned in firmware upgrade notes, but I don't have the upgrade notes for 5.3.8 so who knows.

The 5.3.0 firmware was withdrawn rather quickly due bugs, so that might explain a lot of what you are seeing.   I would definitely upgrade to 5.3.8 as a first step to see if that clears up any of your problems.

Back