Need a new UPS

i vaguely remember a CyberPower from Best Buy going out on my early but this was eight plus years ago.

Have two APC UPS units going five plus years with light loads...replaced battery once in one of them, no problems otherwise.

The APC software generally works and stays working, likewise the half-dozen or so APC units I've got at the house (for avoiding power dip problems behind game units, dvrs, etc).  But they're all simpler units that what you're asking about.  Be wary, APC's latest entry level units are not including the typical pop-open battery access for replacement.  They're now expecting you to replace the whole unit, or get out the screwdrivers.  This is not a good trend.

I recall issues with the Cyberpower software and some unreliable hardware, but that was at least a decade ago.  I've no idea if they've improved.

Here have two older Cyber power 1500's which have been fine except that when the battery goes so does the UPS which I didn't really like.

I also utilize older APCs and have not had any issues with them.

I have 1 TrippLite and and not too happy with it.  Mostly relating to propietary connections to it and not too plug n play.

I also have CyberMax (generic UPS) unit(s).  This one was sold by Geeks a few years back.  Just changed the battery on it and it was a PITA to remove the old battery.  Many screws held it in place.

I have a 1350VA version of the APC but am afraid of the reviews I see for the 1500VA unit. Should be the same hardware with different batteries? Maybe the electonics are being pushed to their limit when they go to 1500.

Most High end APC units I have had work until they fail but always fail badly as in more than just the battery. This one was rapidly flipping through the AVR settings essentialy flashing power on and off to the equipment at about 2 HZ. Worse than not having protection at all !!!

Never tried Cyberpower but the reviews are definitely mixed.

I wish they made units with no scrificial parts or undersized caps so the only thing that wears out is the battery but I don't see anything like that available.

Yah the two CyberPower UPS's are 1500's.  Never much paid attention until one died because it needed a battery.  I did just replace the battery on one UPS where the Leviton Media panel (next to the OmniPro 2 panel) is (with two switches, ISP modem, Ooma box, Secondary backup ISP modem (and phone) and Panasonic power supply is).

We have not had any power outages here until about a month ago anyhow.  

Back