Need Suggestions for Retrofit Blinds

upstatemike

I need to put some blinds on some kitchen windows in the space between the outer storm window and in inner window. Should be battery if possible to avoid a major wiring project. Would prefer to control them via Elk M1 or ISY but could use Homeseer if the first options are not practical. There is Wi-Fi in the kitchen but no nearby Zigbee or Z-Wave. Still I need to maintain local control with Alexa as an optional alternative so will do what I have to.

Any opinions on the best approach to this?

In-between?  Depending on conditions you're asking for trouble from greenhouse conditions cooking the electronics/battery.   We hung a pine wreath on a southeast facing door, with a storm door in front of it.  Even during the winter it took about a week before it looked like something mummified out of an Egyptian tomb.

How much gap exists in-between?

We've got Hunter Douglass units, operating from battery and they've been pretty reliable.  About 2 years between battery replacements, depending on frequency of use.

When it comes to the actual blinds, try blinds.ca/.com for prices of brand names about half price. A few in the UDI forum have used them and thanked me many times.

Look for fjohnson there. He outfitted his whole house and connected them to his ISY

wkearney99 said:
In-between?  Depending on conditions you're asking for trouble from greenhouse conditions cooking the electronics/battery.   We hung a pine wreath on a southeast facing door, with a storm door in front of it.  Even during the winter it took about a week before it looked like something mummified out of an Egyptian tomb.

How much gap exists in-between?

We've got Hunter Douglass units, operating from battery and they've been pretty reliable.  About 2 years between battery replacements, depending on frequency of use.

Has to be between.Can't be outside obviously and inside windows are split down the middle and swing open inward over the kitchen counter. It looks like a fair amount of space in between.

Back