Exterior camera mounting locations and views?

JimS

Planning to put a camera (maybe two) on a detached garage that is about 200' from the house.  Set up a ladder to temporarily put the camera on and check the views from various locations before punching any holes and found the field of view very limiting.  Driveway comes straight to the building.  Front is 30' wide with a man door on the left side just around the corner.  Ceiling is 14' high.  Have read that its good to put the camera low enough to get good views of faces but that really limits total view area.  If I mount the camera at the peak of the roof (about 22' from the ground) I can get the full 34 x 34 parking pad in view.  If I mount it to lower or to the side I have very limited view.  Guess I need a wider angle lens but wondering how best to place them and need to install wiring now so walls can be closed up.

Not too worried about security but want to have a way to keep an eye on things.</p>

Camera:
<a href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NVG5H8Y?th=1">https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NVG5H8Y?th=1</a>

Side awning over door is about 7'10&quot; at the bottom.&nbsp; Could mount a camera there but perhaps a little too low.&nbsp;

Thinking I may want to put one at the right side (as you are looking at the building) at the roof line looking left and one one the left at 10' looking right to get a better view of people.&nbsp; Just wanted to get some other ideas and thoughts...

Views are from the left side at 10' and just below roof.

Attachments

• SideSoffitlevel.jpg
    SideSoffitlevel.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Side at 10ftHigh.jpg
    Side at 10ftHigh.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1
Here's the view of the building and another camera view from center just below roof line.

Attachments

• TopofGable.jpg
    TopofGable.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Garage Front.jpg
    Garage Front.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 4
I added a line to the first post and somehow got a bunch of formatting commands added.  I removed most of them but not sure why they showed up at all...

JimS said:
I added a line to the first post and somehow got a bunch of formatting commands added.  I removed most of them but not sure why they showed up at all...
Yeah that happens to me all the time. Are you using a Mac?  Just do a select all, then copy before posting. If it screws-up, you can just paste over it. 

Using a PC with Firefox.  Could do as you suggest but would have to remember to do that before edits.  Seems like some problem with the site.

Here have problems using Firefox here on the forum.  Initially only way it worked was using Firefox in safe mode.  Found that Chrome works fine on this web site.

When we built my workshop a few years ago I did the same thing with cameras.  A couple of suggestions would be to run ENT tubing to the camera locations then you could  replace wiring down the road if necessary. What kind of cameras?  analog video? or IP based.  If you go with IP, an added benefit would you would have internet access in the building.  200 feet is not a problem for copper cat 5,  Not sure of how worried you are about lightning or surges, you may want to consider fiber to connect to the structure.   

Back