550 ma current limit on DSC Power832 PC5010 board.....

sorka

I need to add some modules but will run past the 550 ma limit pretty easily.

Most of the modules draw their power off the keybus, not the aux terminals.

My current installation includes

Keypad 5500Z = 85 ma

Keypad 5500Z = 85 ma

Keypad 5516Z = 90 ma

IT100 Interface = 90 ma

5108 expansion = 35 ma

That's 385 ma on the keybus so far.

Two motion sensors at 17.5 ma each (in alarm mode).

So the motion sensors are the only things I have that don't draw power off the keybus.

I'm about to ad

Envisalink 4 = 60 ma

5700 Fire = 150 ma

So my question is, how can I add power to the keybus? The only thing I have that's not taking power off the keybus is a mere 35 ma (motion sensors). 

If I add a 5204 or 5200, will that add power directly to the kebus? I'm guessing not as the 5204 has a 20 ma draw itself from the 550 ma 5010 even though the 5204 has it's on power supply.

How do people add 8 or more keypads or is the 1832 just not able to scale up like that?

Keypad 5500Z = 85 ma

You supply any devices separately via an auxiliary power supply, then make that supply common via the ground to the main panel. Makes no difference where the keypads are powered from as long as the two supplies are made electrically common.

DELInstallations said:
You supply any devices separately via an auxiliary power supply, then make that supply common via the ground to the main panel. Makes no difference where the keypads are powered from as long as the two supplies are made electrically common.

How do I do that for keybus devices that are drawing their power directly from the keybus????? There's only one keybus and the Red and Black power supply lines are shared among all devices even the 5204. 

sorka said:
How do I do that for keybus devices that are drawing their power directly from the keybus????? There's only one keybus and the Red and Black power supply lines are shared among all devices even the 5204. 

You need to think of the 4 keybus wires as 2 separate functions.  One is data, which is on the yellow and green wires.  The other is power, on the red and black wires.

Some keybus devices will be powered from red and black terminals on the main panel.  The other devices that would exceed the 550 mA the main panel can provide will get their power from the +AUX terminal and Black terminal of the 5204 supply.   All of the keybus devices will connect to the green and yellow wires for data.

As DEL said, you need to connect the black terminals of the main panel and the 5204 power supply together, so the two power sources share a common reference. This is shown in the 5204 installation instructions.

Make sure you do not connect the AUX terminal of the 5204 to the red terminal of the main panel.

5204 is a supervised power supply, which although nice, is not needed and inherently limited. The panel's Keybus is just 12V power.

You connect the aux supply's negative to panel negative, the loads that are being shed to the aux supply's positive and call it a day.

I wouldn't recommend the 5204. It's really not needed and the price, with a battery doesn't gain that much compared to just monitoring a separate power supply (if desired). 1A is pretty limited.

RAL said:
You need to think of the 4 keybus wires as 2 separate functions.  One is data, which is on the yellow and green wires.  The other is power, on the red and black wires.

Some keybus devices will be powered from red and black terminals on the main panel.  The other devices that would exceed the 550 mA the main panel can provide will get their power from the +AUX terminal and Black terminal of the 5204 supply.   All of the keybus devices will connect to the green and yellow wires for data.

As DEL said, you need to connect the black terminals of the main panel and the 5204 power supply together, so the two power sources share a common reference. This is shown in the 5204 installation instructions.

Make sure you do not connect the AUX terminal of the 5204 to the red terminal of the main panel.

Hmm. I'm thinking of the yellow, green, and black wires for keybus comm and the red and black for power. Two wires isn't enough for two way communication on the keybus.

When you say the black terminals, you just mean the black keybus terminal right? So if I want to hook up an extra keypad that exceeds the 550 ma limit, do I hook the red wire of that keypad up to Aux on the 5204? 

As I said previously, the green and yellow wires are used to transmit the data (in either direction) and the red and black are +12V and common.

A picture might make it easier to understand.

index.php

RAL said:
As I said previously, the green and yellow wires are used to transmit the data (in either direction) and the red and black are +12V and common.

A picture might make it easier to understand.

index.php

Got it. So black is common for everything including Tx and Rx. If I do what you suggest above, the black common wire will carry the entire load of all devices. If this is the accepted practice then I'm fine with that and will do it that way. 

sorka said:
Got it. So black is common for everything including Tx and Rx. If I do what you suggest above, the black common wire will carry the entire load of all devices. If this is the accepted practice then I'm fine with that and will do it that way. 

You need to connect the black common wires together to all the devices so that they are all operating from the same voltage reference.  That's accepted practice.  If you don't have a common reference, it isn't going to work.

No segment of the black wire will have to carry the combined current of both power supplies.  There will be a small amount of current that flows between the left and right sides of the picture due to the keybus signals.

RAL said:
You need to connect the black common wires together to all the devices so that they are all operating from the same voltage reference.  That's accepted practice.  If you don't have a common reference, it isn't going to work.

No segment of the black wire will have to carry the combined current of both power supplies.  There will be a small amount of current that flows between the left and right sides of the picture due to the keybus signals.

Got it. Thanks again for your help. Just want to make sure I don't mess it up :)

Back