Are wired motion sensors very reliable?

Pcarfan

I am hoping to install one of these for my front entrance and for my walkout entrance. When someone trips the sensor in the front and its after sunset it will turn on the porch light. Later I will possibly integrate other things to the link as well. Our front door has glass (opaque) but if someone puts there face to it they could see some details inside. So my wife will feel comfortable if she knows when someone walks up there ( may link a chime to the sensor too). So, this needs to work very well. No false positives or negatives.

I will be using isy994i, insteon and elk mk1 gold

For the rear, it will turn on the rear flood lights. May even install a speaker and warning

or may be a photoelectric sensor like this for this application ?
http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/Photoelectric-Beam-Sensors/AL-MY-40

Or this
http://www.smarthome.com/70422/Enforcer-Indoor-Outdoor-Wall-Mounted-Photoelectric-Beam-Sensor-with-35-Foot-Range-E-931-S35RRQ/p.aspx

Any recommendations for this use?

I would recommend wired over wireless for outdoors. 

I used multiple means of wired sensors outdoors.  That said the Optex combo's that I have in place do have motion and photoelectric sensors built in.

Outdoor sensors are a bit tricky and I would read up on the different types and what you can do with them outside.

In the home previous to this one I did utilize photobeam sensors for the driveway.  They worked OK not great though.  (1980's).  Today it may be a bit better.

I am not making any recommendations here other than doing your homework on what works best outdoors for motion. 

No one sensor by itself I have outside is 100% accurate.  That said I utilize a combo of sensors to detect motion.  The doorbell event I have configured doesn't rely on someone pushing the doorbell button; but rather a combination of multiple outdoor sensors that gives me literally no false positives if someone walking up the front door walk or sitting on the front porch.

Pete,

Would you mind telling us more about your setup and what model sensors you are using?  I have seen good comments about Optex but not very familar with their product line.  Looking to do something similar to improve outdoor lighting control.

http://www.smarthome.com/70422/Enforcer-Indoor-Outdoor-Wall-Mounted-Photoelectric-Beam-Sensor-with-35-Foot-Range-E-931-S35RRQ/p.aspx

I am condiering the above sensor and directly connect that to elk m1k gold.

This is the installation PDF

http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/70422.pdf

Will it be fine to connect to the +VAUX inputs of the mk1? Then it wouldn't need any other power supply right?

I assume the brown and blue wires of the sensor will attach to the 22/2 wire I will be running, which in turn will hook up to the +VAUX inputs of the mik.... Is this correct?

Recommendation for any other specific outdoor " motion detector" motion, photoelectric or microwave is highly appreciated

Thanks!

I would run 22/4 so you can run two conductors for power, and have two for the contacts that will go to your zone input.

BraveSirRobbin said:
I would run 22/4 so you can run two conductors for power, and have two for the contacts that will go to your zone input.
I thought the the + VAUX are powered inputs and that I wouldn't need any more?

If I want to include auxiliary power , how do I go about doing that with the other two leads?... I am new to everything electrical, so can you please elaborate

Pcarfan said:
I thought the the + VAUX are powered inputs and that I wouldn't need any more?

If I want to include auxiliary power , how do I go about doing that with the other two leads?... I am new to everything electrical, so can you please elaborate
Hmmm, not sure what you mean, I'm confused now also.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Hmmm, not sure what you mean, I'm confused now also.

I am extremely new to this. It's just what I read in the past few days. I though sensors that need power like motion sensor and glass break sensors go into input +VAUX and that way the M1 circuit board can provide the power needed. Is this correct? 

Attached is a diagram.

Guessing by looking at the diagram you can get the power from the Elk panel.

BTW when I used one in my old home a lightning storm would trigger it.  (this was in the 1980's though).

Attachments

• Pic-1.jpg
    Pic-1.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 6
Pcarfan said:
I am extremely new to this. It's just what I read in the past few days. I though sensors that need power like motion sensor and glass break sensors go into input +VAUX and that way the M1 circuit board can provide the power needed. Is this correct? 
Again, not really sure where you are going with all of this; but, a 22/4 cable means you have four 22-gauge wires in that bundle.  You would use two for the power off of the VAUX (plus and minus), then the remaining two for the actual zone input (plus and minus).

Yeah - the VAUX +/- is power only; the sensor trigger goes to a specific zone.  You need a minimum of 3 wire conductors, but 4 makes life easier.

All your motions will get power together from the VAUX - but they need their inputs to be separate in order to track - that's where the individual zone hookups happen.

pete_c said:
Attached is a diagram.

Guessing by looking at the diagram you can get the power from the Elk panel.

BTW when I used one in my old home a lightning storm would trigger it.  (this was in the 1980's though).

BraveSirRobbin said:
Again, not really sure where you are going with all of this; but, a 22/4 cable means you have four 22-gauge wires in that bundle.  You would use two for the power off of the VAUX (plus and minus), then the remaining two for the actual zone input (plus and minus).

Work2Play said:
Yeah - the VAUX +/- is power only; the sensor trigger goes to a specific zone.  You need a minimum of 3 wire conductors, but 4 makes life easier.

All your motions will get power together from the VAUX - but they need their inputs to be separate in order to track - that's where the individual zone hookups happen.
Thank you very much. Now I get it.

Jim,

I use these Optex combo devices outside.  (10 years now). 

http://cocoontech.com/forums/page/cctv-cameras/_/wondertrack-dc-300cp-camera

Some outdoor directional PIR's (look like cameras) that I purchased in the EU (will take pictures) and ....

The older Optex combo cameras seem to blend in a bit more than the newer ones ...but that is my personal opinion.

I do have more than 4 wires going to it today. 

Off on a tangent....and a comparison to the Optex housing...
I have noticed that the Speco Dome mounting bracket (plastic) on the one camera that I did utilize outside for a year has become "brittle".  I used it for the front house view dome even though the pivotal pieces literally crumbled as I assembled it.  The Everfocus dome utilized a metal bracket and housing for the board camera inside.  I don't really recall if the Everfocus was a higher end or cost more than the Speco analog dome IP67 camera.  The Everfocus dome does have a heater built into it occupying one section of the inside of the dome.

Attachments

• Optex-Combo-Pic-1a.jpg
    Optex-Combo-Pic-1a.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 15
Back