[Article] Google Chromecast available NOW

I picked up a Chromecast Friday morning when one of the local Best Buy stores opened. Original goal was to pick up a new Nexus 7 2nd gen for my wife, which I was successful in doing BTW, and whimsically asked if they had any Chromecast in stock, I was expecting to hear a no...  Imagine my shock, turned surprise, turned joy with they said they had 4!  Score!

Setup was a breeze, really doesn't get much simpler.  I've sent Netflix and youtube to my TV from my phone, paused, etc.  Also tested sending a Chrome browser tab to the Chromecast which worked well.  I tested with a Chrome tab that was pointed at my Blue Iris server, woosh, I had security cameras on the big screen. Gotta love it...

If your TV has HDMI-CEC (and it is enabled) the Chromecast will automatically turn the TV on when a video feed is sent to it.

-Ben

What am I missing with this thing? I just don't get it. I can already do all of that with my Gtv and more. And the Google cast is coming to Gtv anyway so is there any reason to get one of these?
As far as connecting it to a TV, to me that's a waste. I would connect it to my a/v receiver so I can get the surround sound so CEC isn't even a plus to me.

What you are missing is that GTV doesn't cost $35 and most people don't have it.  Can't CEC turn on the receiver and the TV and select the correct inputs?

So is anyone still using it?  There are some interesting Chromecast projects going on now, but between AppleTV and AirPlay, I haven't really used it since I got it.  It also seems to stay powered up for a long time after turning the TV off.

Looking at it, it seems that GTV IS a better device -especially if they follow through and give it casting capabilities too.  But It is also more more expensive.  I think Google's pricing of the Chromecast is what will make it such a wildly popular device.  Well, that along with the fact that they encourage development on the device through the published API and SDKs.  Those two factors will allow people to buy a very cheap, but very capable device for their TVs. It's also dead simple to use, so it will appeal to even the non-techies out there.

I picked up mine at Amazon and have been using it for a few days now. So far it's been working pretty reliably. It's nice to be able to screen cast any browser's tab - whatever you might have going on there - from reading mail to watching slide deck to Hulu.

I think its size and portability is the major differentiator - I could just grab it, throw in the luggage and go to any hotel and have my videos streaming from my laptop. I have different kinds of STBs, from Comcast to Roku to WD and they are all fine for whatever channels/apps they support, but they all have their own limits - from inability to play Youtube channels on Roku to video format support. Chromecast seems to be able to play whatever I throw at it. And since most people these days spend time in front of TV with laptops on their knees I think the Chromecast could be relevant to many people. 

Back