[Blogs] Beelzeblog - An early Christmas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Droid

CT Bot
So, a day late, Ive begun putting together the WHS system. I've pulled my old cqc-server machine and my old media pc out of the rack, and I'm going to switch components around to my liking. The Silverstone LC17 is one sweet looking case, even in a rack, but I like the layout of the cheapo rack case I bought on ebay better. So I'm going to move the media PC board and everything to the other case, and then put in the old cqc server stuff into the LC17.

I got both cases onto the table and started taking inventory of everything inside. And I looked at the back of the media PC case, the more technologically advanced of the 2 PC's, to see how many ports it had. And in one of the expansion brackets, there was a really thin looking port. And I thought....hey...that looks like an eSATA port. So I follow the cable for it and it winds around...and terminates on the motherboard. You mean this thing has SATA???. Oh, *GRUMBLE*. I completely forgot that machine had SATA (and in fact, built-in RAID too). I ended up buying an external drive with USB because of this. Fortunately, the external drive also has eSATA...so I've not completely wasted the effort.

So this ends up pretty good. I have the spare 500 GB SATA drive from the last external drive I had that failed...so that can now be an actual internal drive, all good to go.

And I have resolved my "cqc on the WHS machine won't back up" delimna. Thanks to Kirk Kanak (toymaster), Ive gotten the CQC backup script to work successfully. So, I'll just schedule it to work at like 3am, stop the CQC service, backup the directory, and then save that backup to a network drive on a PC that *will* be backed up. So, indirectly through a 3rd part, the CQC master server will still be backed up. That makes the WHS system disk basically dispensible, which is the way WHS intended.

Now the work begins...

This thread is not open. If you wish to respond, please respond using the original blog entry link. View the original blog entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back