[Blogs] Beelzeblog - Operator error

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Droid

CT Bot
Well, I resolved my issue with the Syba card!! Turns out...I was trying the wrong ports. :) I had them labeled from before, but I must have changed it around somehow. Anyway, it works good with WHS so I'm back in business.

However, another issue popped up that impedes my having CQC installed on there. Because I so often have to access the CQC dir on the master server, I usually share it so I can get at it from all networked PC's. Well, try as I might, I could not access the CQC directory. I set it to "Everyone" and full permissions....nope. Rebooted the WHS machine...nope. Rebooted the client machine...nope. Ahh, wonderful Server 2003 permissions.

What it finally boiled down to was that even though I had Everyone and Guest as permitted users of that dir, that wasnt good enough. I needed to add the username that I was logged into in Win XP. So I'm "logged in" in XP via Rob. That means I need to create a WHS user named Rob. Annoyingly, because WHS won't let you create a user without also creating a password, it means that at some point (when I first access it at least), I'll have to put in my username and password. Oh sure, I know...passwords are good and all that. Well, lemme tell ya...I deal with MORE than enough passwords at work every day, so I *really* don't want to have to deal with them at home too.

It gets worse though. Since you have to give some kind of account name when you install XP on a machine, I usually just put Rob. Well, as I discovered, WHS will only let one "Rob" access that shared dir at a time. So, if Im accessing the directory on one machine, and then try to do it from another, I get an error, because both machine are probably logged into XP as "Rob". Very very annoying. I mean, the "built in" shared dirs in WHS work flawlessly. But trying to share a directory from the directory tree seems very problematic....or at least, cumbersome.

This thread is not open. If you wish to respond, please respond using the original blog entry link. View the original blog entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back