Convert Vivint / 2Gig GoControl Setup to something else?

oehokie

I'm in the process of purchasing a newly renovated rowhouse that includes a vivint (2Gig) Go!Control Panel and some window/door sensors. From what I've read I do NOT want to go with vivint, but would like to re-use as much hardware as possible.

The Mi Casa Verde Vera system is the way I'd like to go... but it doesn't play well with the 2Gig Go!Control panel. Can I swap that panel out with a different controller and re-use the existing sensors? Or would it be easier to just scrap it and start over from scratch.

I've "heard" in other forums that the 2Gig panel uses a honeywell radio for sensors, which makes me think the sensors are honeywell... and that a honeywell panel would be a suitable replacement. Some of them (vista series, I believe) are compatible with the Vera's.

I'm not sure if I want a home monitoring service in the future, so I'd like to leave that option open.

In the future, I'd add some z-wave devices and network cameras. Initially I'd set it up to send me notifications of events around the house while the system is "armed".

Does anyone know about sensor compatability or have any other advice? Thanks,

BraveSirRobbin said:
I'm almost certain that the 2Gig sensors are NOT Z-Wave compatible and will only 'talk' with their own controller. 
I'm not so sure about that. I have a feeling that the 2Gig RF sensors are re-branded DSC or GE wireless sensors (someone would have to check). The thermostat is ZWave, if that's what you have installed.

homejones said:
I'm not so sure about that. I have a feeling that the 2Gig RF sensors are re-branded DSC or GE wireless sensors (someone would have to check). The thermostat is ZWave, if that's what you have installed.

Ah, I see your point and I should have stated the following:

I'm pretty sure the 2Gig Sensors are NOT Z-Wave compatible as they do not communicate on that specific frequency.

Thanks for that catch :) as I was trying to state to the OP since he mentioned Vera that the 2Gig will most likely not work with that unit, but made to broad of a statement as you pointed out.

The panel is light years beyond Mi Casa Verde Vera, and can do everything it can do and more. All you have to do is update the firmware.

Why not just keep your 2gig panel, update the firmware to v1.10, and choose your own monitoring company for month month $15-$22?

The 2gig panel is full wave, and the panel works with both 2gig sensors and Honeywell sensors

There is a 2gig forum that answers all the questions, shows you how to take it over from vivint, and download free firmware updates

http://www.diysecurityforum.com/index.php?board=60.0

Good luck

What makes you say Vera doesn't play well with the 2GIG panel? I know people using 2GIG with Vera successfully. The 2GIG Z-Wave controller can be added as a sub controller to Vera. You can use 2GIG for security and Vera the more complex home automation stuff. I'm aware that every feature doesn't work, specifically with lock codes, but from what I hear it works pretty well.

http://suretydiy.com/forums/topic/vera-and-2gig/

FYI there's a kit to make switching away from Vivint easy.

http://suretydiy.com/product/vivout-freedom-quick-start-kit/

Best Regards,
Ryan

No, the security part of the system is only available via the 2GIG panel and Alarm.com. We just use Vera for home automation.

That depends on your definition of "play well". Those I know who are using them together for just the z-wave features seem happy but if you want Vera to have access to the security sensors then no, 2GIG won't work.

The problem with swapping the 2GIG panel out with a Honeywell panel is that the 2GIG panel works with Honeywell sensors but Honeywell panels don't seem to work with 2GIG sensors. It might be best to replace the sensors.

Best Regards,
Ryan

Back