Doorbell -> Elk1 Wire Gauge?

ccmichaelson

I'm planning to wire an LED doorbell (don't have one picked out yet - just about to pre-wire) directly to my ELK M1.  What wire gauge/type do I need to use?  I'll have ample CAT6, 22/4 burglar alarm cable, and 16/2 speaker wire on hand.

Normal bell wire is 20/2, in order to handle the current that a traditional doorbell requires.   If you are wiring the button directly to the M1 zone input, you could get away with a lighter gauge wire as it only needs to handle a few milliamps. 

If you haven't seen this thread already on LED doorbell buttons on the M1, you might find it helpful.

20/2? That's a really odd size.

Everything around here has been 18/2 and usually solid for at least 50-75 years. Usually the preferred AWG as a balance of flexibility and durablity by most electricians. Also allows for more corrosion or tarnish compared to a lighter AWG.

That's brave or silly.

My guess is they are using it for phones (or the mandated single outlet in a non-complete rough to comply) and they're not carrying the heavier wire on the job. Twist all into 2 "conductors" and hope it all works when they're done and for at least a year.

Are they running heavy enough for the T-stats? That would say whether or not they're just hoping for the best and using the cheapest they've got.

DELInstallations said:
That's brave or silly.

My guess is they are using it for phones (or the mandated single outlet in a non-complete rough to comply) and they're not carrying the heavier wire on the job. Twist all into 2 "conductors" and hope it all works when they're done and for at least a year.

Are they running heavy enough for the T-stats? That would say whether or not they're just hoping for the best and using the cheapest they've got.

Actually, they are only using (2) conductors at the button and transformer...

They are using proper wire for thermostats

Here they use the correct wire for thermostats, but everything else is Cat5 - the garage buttons, safety eye sensors, etc.  I think the doorbell was done right but I haven't looked - just judging by what I see at the transformer itself.

Work2Play said:
Here they use the correct wire for thermostats, but everything else is Cat5 - the garage buttons, safety eye sensors, etc.  I think the doorbell was done right but I haven't looked - just judging by what I see at the transformer itself.

That's what I've been seeing...

Here and there (homes built after 2000) 18/2 was used for the doorbell and similiar 18/X was used for the HVAC.  The garage door stuff installed was all solid core but not sure of the guage.  My personal adds have been catXX, 22/2, 22,4 and audio 16 /4 and 16/2.  Initial CCTV was coaxial plus power plus cat5x.  Switched the analog cctv to catxx baluns a while ago while keepin the cable in place then to catxx poe cctv stuff.  Today stil use a few runs of RS-232 and 1-Wire stuff using cat5x.  GPS for time sync is running on one RS-232 (added PPS), RFID stuff and W800 stuff is RS-232 and is in the attic (well and garage).  Buried RF antennas in a few places behind the in wall speakers here and there; work fine today still.

drvnbysound said:
That's what I've been seeing...
Most likely a cost savings measure since Cat X is usually a heck of a lot cheaper than 18/2, not to mention, commonly on the truck since cat 3 has been the minimum for telephone wiring for years.....assuming they wire for it as there has been some push for it to not be required for anything but a single outlet in the kitchen or common public space, a throwback to how it was done in the early days contrary to the wire an outlet in every room of the 80's-present.

Appreciate the side comments but I have to run wire between the doorbell and elk panel next week so do I run CAT 6, my 22/4 burglar alarm wire, or 14/2 speaker wire? In other words which cable would be the best? I have plenty of all three types.

Out of that mix, a 22/4 with a Cat would be the two I'd pull. I'd use the 22/4 for the connection and leave the Cat as a spare in the wall

Agree with Del. I pulled 22/2 to mine because I had it, and that's all it really needs. If all I had was 22/4, I'd pull it...

I pulled two cat6 to my Doorbell location. I figured I would use a motion sensor camera over PoE. I'm glad I did because, there are Doorbell camera products like doorbird.com that are powered by PoE.

wildta said:
I pulled two cat6 to my Doorbell location. I figured I would use a motion sensor camera over PoE. I'm glad I did because, there are Doorbell camera products like doorbird.com that are powered by PoE.

To the doorbell or the doorbell button?

Back