Elk M1 Gold Install Specs

elias1693

House got broken into. Time for a security system. I've been interested in home automation for a while now and after sitting through ADT's in home presentation on pulse... I started wondering why it was so expensive and so limited? So I've decided to build my own.

I think everything below is compatible, if not please let me know.

My question is what zwave programmable thermostat can I use and I will be getting an 8 or 16 channel DVR security camera system to go with it. Any recommendations?

ELK-M1GSYS4 - ELK M1 Gold Security and Automation Kit
ELK-M1XEP - elk Ethernet Port Interface
ELK-M1XRF2H - ELK Wireless Receiver For Use With Honeywell Sensors
5820L - Slim Line Wireless Door/Window Transmitter
ELK-70 - ELK Interior Speaker
5834-4 - Ademco Honeywell 4 Button Wireless Keyfob
5853 - Ademco Wireless Glass Break
5800PIR-RES - Ademco Honeywell Wireless Pet Immune Motion Sensor
GS3060 - GSM Universal Wireless Alarm Communicator

Potential Thermostat
Aprilaire 8800 Touchscreen Communicating Thermostat
Aprilaire 8811 Protocol Adapter
8818 Aprilaire Distribution Panel
Info on thermostats from Elk website under aprilaire_integration

At least an 8 channel DVR system is a must!

I found all this stuff (except potential thermostat products) on homesecuritystore.com. They say tech support is included should I go with them for the tech support? Prices are higher than Amazon and other sources.
Taken some electronic engineering courses and own a PC repair business with PC's and Mac's so I'm hoping the install isn't too far outta my league.

Any other goodies I should install or stay away from please let me know.

After further research I'm guessing these two items will also be needed.

ELK-M1XSP - M1 ELK Serial Expander, Lighting/Thermostat Interface
ELK-M1DBH M1 Data Bus Hub (RJ45)

Bump

Phoning distributors will usually bring the price down.

I suggest CT sponsors automatedoutlet.com and ASIHome.com/Worthington. I've been very pleased with Automated Outlet support for my distributed audio system. Wherever you purchase, make sure they are authorized Elk dealers/distributors.

There is an Elk subforum that may get more traffic.

The hub isn't truly necessary if you follow appropriate wiring methods, though many in the DIY crowd tend to see it as a must-have. I'd also ditch the single speaker and get SP12F's, and install 4 to get the impedance down on the M1. Volume and distribution would be fine for most installs. I'd also plan on adding a second keypad, such as in the MBR of the house. May not think you need it, but it's really something that once you move on the panel, you'll value.

Ditch the 3060 and get a Uplink 2500. The 3060 is a dialer capture unit and the Uplink has the ability to send data back to the panel and be applied via rules. Don't get me wrong, the 3060 will work, but I see/use them on panels that don't have the ability to spit the data directly into the cell, which would be the preferred method.

I've witnessed Telular's and 3060's go "down" on takeover accounts where the client did not have the STC relay wired to the panel for an indication of cell status/failure. As long as the panel gets the simulated CS handshake/kissoff from the cell, the panel is happy.

T-stats are discretionary, but for a "simple" solution, HAI's stats connected to a serial work well and require little in the way of additional hardware or wiring. Makes for a easier retrofit on an existing system.

I'm not sure what you're meaning by integrating a DVR with the security, because if you have a large enought HD (1TB or larger/8 cams) and quality cameras, you should easily be able to max out FPS and image quality and still get 30+ days of recording on the HD. Only if you're changing the FPS or quality based on inputs, etc. into the DVR, then would you be integrating into the system. We're also not taking NVR and IP based solutions in this case/scenario, not to mention the price point is cost-prohibitive for most residential applications, both for hardware and infrastructure needed to have a bulletproof installation.

Without Elk's flagship touchscreen and the compatible cameras/DVR's, you're not going to integrate the alarm and DVR. The best would be to treat the video separately and put the DVR on the network and install the remote software on applicable PC's or smart devices, if supported by the unit you're looking at.

Thanks I'll add the speakers and go with the Uplink 2500.

I've purchased a Zmodo 8 channel DVR. Not bad for $300 bucks but not great either. Day time viewing is just OK. Nightime viewing is horrible. Its working on the local network but havent got the iPhone remote app working yet. Tried aSee+, APlayer, and Bubo Bubo. Still no luck.

Got the Elk System a few days ago.

Current Sytem - Build in progress
ELK-M1GSYS4 - ELK M1 Gold Security and Automation Kit
ELK-M1XEP - elk Ethernet Port Interface
ELK-M1XRF2H - ELK Wireless Receiver For Use With Honeywell Sensors
11 - 5820L - Slim Line Wireless Door/Window Transmitter
ELK-70 - ELK Interior Speaker
Ademco Honeywell wave2 Two-tone Siren New
5834-4 - Ademco Honeywell 4 Button Wireless Keyfob
2 Honeywell Intellisense FG-730
9 Ademco Aurora Pet Immune Motion Sensor
Uplink 2500 GSM Cellular
ELK-M1DBH M1 Data Bus Hub (RJ45)
ELK-M1XSP - M1 ELK Serial Expander, Lighting/Thermostat Interface

Now I just gotta figure out how to connect everything all together! WISH ME LUCK!!!

The hub isn't truly necessary if you follow appropriate wiring methods, though many in the DIY crowd tend to see it as a must-have. I'd also ditch the single speaker and get SP12F's, and install 4 to get the impedance down on the M1. Volume and distribution would be fine for most installs. I'd also plan on adding a second keypad, such as in the MBR of the house. May not think you need it, but it's really something that once you move on the panel, you'll value.

Ditch the 3060 and get a Uplink 2500. The 3060 is a dialer capture unit and the Uplink has the ability to send data back to the panel and be applied via rules. Don't get me wrong, the 3060 will work, but I see/use them on panels that don't have the ability to spit the data directly into the cell, which would be the preferred method.

I've witnessed Telular's and 3060's go "down" on takeover accounts where the client did not have the STC relay wired to the panel for an indication of cell status/failure. As long as the panel gets the simulated CS handshake/kissoff from the cell, the panel is happy.

T-stats are discretionary, but for a "simple" solution, HAI's stats connected to a serial work well and require little in the way of additional hardware or wiring. Makes for a easier retrofit on an existing system.

I'm not sure what you're meaning by integrating a DVR with the security, because if you have a large enought HD (1TB or larger/8 cams) and quality cameras, you should easily be able to max out FPS and image quality and still get 30+ days of recording on the HD. Only if you're changing the FPS or quality based on inputs, etc. into the DVR, then would you be integrating into the system. We're also not taking NVR and IP based solutions in this case/scenario, not to mention the price point is cost-prohibitive for most residential applications, both for hardware and infrastructure needed to have a bulletproof installation.

Without Elk's flagship touchscreen and the compatible cameras/DVR's, you're not going to integrate the alarm and DVR. The best would be to treat the video separately and put the DVR on the network and install the remote software on applicable PC's or smart devices, if supported by the unit you're looking at.

Del,
I don't know if this is what was meant, but my DVR (q-see qt528) has both alarm system inputs and outputs on the back that can be triggered to record video based on alarm status or it could even trigger an alarm based on on camera motion detection for one of the 8 video channels. I plan to hook this up to my M1G once I figure out a path from my crawlspace to my attic for conduit (my cameras are all mounted under 2nd floor overhangs outside and monitored from an upstairs bedroom).​

I think you're most likely confusing what the alarm inputs would really be used for. On commercial grade units, inputs are used to change the IPS or quality of the recording or to start a tour or preset pattern in the case of a PTZ. You could, if you really wanted to, use them as a trigger to start/stop recording on specific cameras, however that has become much less of an issue now that continous duty HDD's have come down in price. Very rarely do we set up cameras that are not constantly recording, unless we are using motion detection to cut down on HDD space being used, which isn't often.

What you choose to do with your system is your perogative, however, I believe your plan is asking for trouble and false alarms if you're using it trip an alarm on the M1, especially if monitored. Generating an email notification is one thing, but setting off a siren, etc....I wouldn't want to be your neighbors.

In my setup, all 8 channels of video are actually recording full time. I was actually planning to use the dvr inputs and outputs in home automation rules where the M1 tells an isy99i to do something. If my M1 ever sounds a false alarm, I'd see that as a failure on my part.

DEL - Keep in mind that the M1 is an automation controller too, not just security... lots of us use inputs on it for things other than to trigger an alarm.

Just for example - I have the same door contacts on all my interior doors that I have on my exterior ones - they're set to non-alarm and handle automation only - like turning on lights for the kids if they get up in the middle of the night; or turning on closet lights; etc. So just because someone says they want to hook the motion trigger to the Elk doesn't mean they're going to alarm off it - they're probably just triggering automation rules.

Back