Elk M1 & smoke detector code requirements

lleo

After what it seems to be a very long bench-testing of my Elk panel, I went to the local AHJ to inquire about the necessary permits to install it permanently and have it inspected to serve as my security and fire alarm system.  The person at the counter greeted me very kindly, until she found out that I am planning to install this myself. She stopped smiling when I informed her that I plan to use this to replace the current two (2) line-voltage detectors. All she stated that "you have to bring it up to 'code'" and was not very helpful on completing the required forms.

My home is a 25-years old, 3500 sqft, one-story ranch-style home, with full, mostly-open basement and accessible attic, making the wiring easy(er).
This is my plan: One (1) smoke detector in each bedroom and one (1) in each hallway adjacent to kitchen. Another smoke detector will be on the ceiling of the basement staircase (the highest point of the basement). Will have heat sensors on separate zones in the garage, utility area of basement (in front of furnace that is) and laundry room. So total of 7 smoke detector and 3 heat sensors. The smoke detectors will have sounders in them and will use a reversing relay for tandem operation. The alarm panel will have battery backup as standard. Keypads by the main and rear door, garage entrance to basement, and master bedroom. Surface-mounted wireless sensors on doors and wired PIR motion, glass-break sensors for security. The wired security is powered from a separate, battery-backed supply. Will be using solid 18/4 FPLP rated red fire-wire for the fire alarm and CMR rated 22/4 for the PIR and glass-break sensors.

I know that this is a lot to ask, but am I missing anything here? Thanks in advance and I understand the any advice is exactly that, thus I will be responsible.

If of any help, the township website lists the following in effect:
Uniform Construction Code of New Jersey

Effective January 5, 1998, the Uniform Construction Code of New Jersey introduced Subchapter #6, which is the Rehabilitation Subcode. This subcode enhances the feasibility of remodeling existing structures that do not comply with today's standards.
The following codes are currently in effect:

• International Building Code, 2009 New Jersey Edition

• International Residential Code 2009 New Jersey Edition

• National Standard Plumbing Code, 2009

• National Electric Code, 2008

• International Mechanical Code, 2009

• International Fuel Gas Code, 2009

• 2009 International Energy Conservation Code – New Jersey Edition

Yes, this is what I was told, that I need a permit to install a security system. On a separate note I mentioned that I will install category cabling for home networking and learned that I needed a permit for this as well, with schematic drawing and each and every communication point identified.
I expect that the inspector show up here if I go ahead with the permit and install it, I am not sure if he will climb in the attic to survey wiring, but I do not know.
It is often suggested here to talk to the inspector, but I have no direct access to him, only the person at the counter scheduling the visit.

When I have a question of an inspector, I'll call at 8:00 AM (b/4 they've left for the field) and ask to speak to a inspector. I've found electrical inspectors helpful in this regard. Plumbing inspectors, not so much!

Well you can take it or leave it as far as this advice.  But if this were my own personal and private residence, I would just leave the city out of it.

I think the problems come with your phrase "I informed her that I plan to use this to replace the current two (2) line-voltage detectors."  This has been discussed MANY times here. A fire panel does not REPLACE the wired smokes that are required by code, and any remodel will likely require that you add more wired interconnected smokes to meet current codes.  Once you have done that, the panel may not require a permit, but it still might, especially if its monitored and it can notify local police/fire dept. 

Ano, I think you nailed the issue here. Me saying "replace" they thought it will be one for one, i.e. simply unplug existing and add a low voltage there instead.

And I found out this after employing the telephone trick and called the town. I got connected to the fire official and after a friendly chat, we agreed that 'bringing up to code" in my case means adding smokes to each bedroom, at least another one (I plan two) in public areas, also to the basement and a CO detector in front of bedrooms. He said that for new construction the town is requiring the line voltage, interconnected smokes, but for retrofit they also accept low voltage smokes operating in tandem, with battery back-up. Will have to submit application for construction permit, including electrical and fire protection subcodes and will be inspected.

thanks to all who chimed in.

Interesting....

Usually the requirement is once you start opening walls or hitting a $ or % of new to old to require bringing up a structure to present code, otherwise their statement places, IMHO, an undue burden on the property owner, although they can require you to meet the design criteria the original installed system.

I've heard of similar, and witnessed stranger things, like a property owner that wanted to install supplementary devices in a office space, by no means required by code, however the AHJ went and wanted a full sytem and basically fell short of demanding a sprinkler system.

We've had to pull permits to install in existing construction where no renovation is being performed, that is not abnormal. I'd be curious as to if they require the telecom's, satellite and CATV guys to pull a permit or if they are covered by public service acts and I would ask the AHJ that specifically....not to be smart, but how is what your work (alarm nonwithstanding) but adding network drops, etc. different than what they do?

Back