email privacy

Secure email is not terribly hard, BUT both the sender and the receiver have to use the same system. Proton Mail is a good example. https://protonmail.com/
Maybe someday the world will settle on one encryption method, so all mail will be secure, but its not happening anytime soon, and there are so many that oppose it (because they want to snoop) that it probably will never happen.

Interesting news story today....

Top EU rights court says UK’s mass spying violated privacy laws

Court complained there was ‘inadequate independent oversight’ of British government’s ‘Big Brother’ surveillance system

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 13 September, 2018, 9:16pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 13 September, 2018, 11:04pm

Human rights groups and journalists scored a victory against the British government’s mass electronic surveillance system on Thursday after Europe’s top rights court ruled that the so-called Big Brother programme violated privacy and free speech.

The European Court of Human Rights, based in Strasbourg, eastern France, did not question the existence of the spying programme in itself but said a lack of oversight and safeguards meant it undermined rights to privacy and free expression.

The court gave Britain, which is in the process of altering legislation.

“While the Court was satisfied that the intelligence services of the United Kingdom take their [European human rights] convention obligations seriously and are not abusing their powers, it found that there was inadequate independent oversight of the selection and search processes involved in the operation,” the court said in a statement.

The violations concerned in particular shortcomings when it came to selecting the internet service providers involved, as well as the search criteria used to filter and select intercepted communications for assessment.

“Furthermore, there were no real safeguards applicable to the selection of related communications data for examination, even though this data could reveal a great deal about a person’s habits and contacts,” the court statement said.

By related communications, the court said it meant the collection of details like who calls who, from where and when – rather than the content of the communications.

The cases are the latest legal challenge to the UK in a long-running spy scandal following revelations by Snowden, a former US National Security Agency contractor, in 2013 that caused global outraged.

Among the more than a dozen groups that took the case to Strasbourg were the London-based Big Brother Watch organisation, the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and former Guardian reporter Alice Ross.

They said Britain’s activities – many of them run from GCHQ (Government Communications Headquarters), a vast intelligence gathering centre in Cheltenham – could threaten the privacy of journalists, who may fear their contact lists or the websites they visit are being scrutinised by the government.

“Under the guise of counterterrorism, the UK has adopted the most authoritarian surveillance regime of any Western state, corroding democracy itself and the rights of the British public,” Carlo said in a statement. “This judgment is a vital step towards protecting millions of law-abiding citizens from unjustified intrusion.”

Corey Stoughton of human rights group Liberty described Thursday’s ruling as “a major victory for those of us who think there ought to be balance in the government’s ability to engage in surveillance.”

The British government’s counsel, James Eadie, said at that time the programmes were necessary in the fight against terrorism.

Just noticed that both Google and Microsoft mail have changed over the last few weeks (new interfaces ....)

Noticed this message and options in Outlook this morning...

mmsmail.jpg

mikefamig said:
On the topic of privacy -

I subscribed to a year of PIA "private internet access" VPN and am not that impressed with it. It does what it claimed to do but is slow. It seemed faster to me during the 1 month trial period and I have seen claims online that they throttle your bandwidth after you subscribe. It is not something that I will just leave running all of the time, it's just too slow.

Mike.

I want to update my opinion of PIA. When I first got it it was very slow but it has been good for weeks now. I am using it all of the time and forget about it until I get denied access to a web site. It seems that some sites are sensitive to my VPN IP address.

Mike.

A VPN is great to use if you are using public Wi-Fi, or if you are home and don't want your Internet provider spying on your email or web traffic and selling it for a profit. Something the repeal of net neutrality allows them to do.  Unfortunately a VPN does not protect you beyond between the distance from you and where the other end of the VPN is located.  If you are a remote employee, and your employer runs the VPN, then everything is protected between you and the company, which is usually good enough. Even if the company has an email server, and its encrypted, email is still completely unprotected between the company and the outside world.

I use ExpressVPN which I like a lot, but its hard to use it all the time because some many service require LOTs of extra authorizations when you appear through a known VPN IP address, and many services block you completely when you use it. Also be aware that while a VPN will prevent the other end from knowing your IP address, there are so many other ways for everything to spy on you, it doesn't really matter. Like if you even have a Facebook account, but are not even using it, and not blocking it, most sites can decode the bread crumbs it leaves behind, and know exactly who you are.

I have stopped using  many Google products due to spying. Emails are snooped  in detail. Receiving an email with a vacation booking will end up in your event calendar without any prompting or approvals. Then flight adverts show up around the dates.

Be careful with your ISP assigned DNS. Mine automatically assigns google DNS for look ups. 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 work well and you will find things that pop up automatically change after moving away from google spies.

Back