HAI Expansion Enclosure Not Working w/OmniPro II

Vycor

Sooo I have a small problem. I have an HAI OmniPro II panel and the 15 zones we have hooked up work fine. We have two expansion enclosures (16 zones) hooked up. Units are 1 and 2 via SW1 dipswitch

I have A/B from the expansions going to A/B on the controller board (where the consoles plug in basically). I also have each of the panels all connected to each others earth ground (the main panel doesnt have an earth ground that goes anywhere right now, but the instructions say as long as all the panels are earth grounded to each other, thats fine).

Well in my PC Access software I can see zones 1-15 are fine. Zones EE1-1 through EE1-16 and EE22-1 through EE2-16 are also listed, but they dont show a proper status. I get a NOT READY for my status. But my LOOP variables change when i open/close doors and walk past motion detectors, so thats where im confused.

Ive tried setting my zones to AUXILIARY and INT ALARM but same results... not really sure what im missing here.

The expansion enclosures also show a ready status (the leds blink once a second rather then 4 times a second).

So any thoughts on what im missing here... im going nuts trying to figure it out.

Did you tell the Omni you have Expansion Closures?

In PCAccess under Units/Dealer Settings/Number of Expansion Enclosures

Are you using EOL Resistors? They are required for Expansion Enclosures

Did you tell the Omni you have Expansion Closures?

In PCAccess under Units/Dealer Settings/Number of Expansion Enclosures

Are you using EOL Resistors? They are required for Expansion Enclosures

Yes told PC Access I have 2 expansions. EOL resistors, not sure... we're using door contact/glass break/motion detectors. I don't think there are any wired into those, as they kind of act like them (normally closed) and from what I understood, were not necessary. The main panel works fine with the combo of motion/glass/door contacts and they are wired the same.

One other note that might need to be noted.

On the main panel all zones, 1-15 are used (16 being our thermostat)

On my expansions i dont use every zone... for example on the 1st expansion i believe im skipping zone 5 and then maybe later zone 7 (out of a total of i believe 12 zones being used) (because the wires are handling in the room they are going in, so we didnt hook them up to avoid shorts)

Same thing on the 2nd panel, i believe zone 3 or so (out of a total of 6 zones) is not connected..

Does this have anything to do with it? I did a quick google search on EOL and something said every zone needs resistance... do i need to put in a resistor on any zones im NOT using (connecting the + and - together?)... if so, do i need to also do this on say zones 13/14/15/16 if im only wiring in zones 1-12 with devices?

You have to wire a 1K ohm EOL resistor in each zone on an expansion enclosure.

"The system supports both normally open and normally closed switches. Most contacts designed for
doors, windows, motion detectors, glassbreak detectors and other security devices meet this requirement.
An external 1000 ohm end-of-line resistor must be used for all burglary zones. Connect the loop to the
"+" and "-" terminals for the desired zone."

They are optional with the Omni Panel (setting selectable in PCAccess) but required with the Expansion Enclosure.

Gotcha, i just reread (for the 3rd time) that in the manual... makes sense now.... so i need them on every zone im not using correct (even say zones 13/14/15/16 even though im stopping at 12)

I don't think you need them on zones you aren't monitoring, because you don't care about the status of an unused zone.
I use EOL with my OmniProII panel and don't have them installed on the unused zones.
But they are definitely required for any zones you do use.
You can just wire the resistors across the terminals of the unused zones if you want which should make your zone levels steady out.

So now im confused... do i put them on unused ones or used ones?? Example

EE1-1: Glass Break
EE1-2: Motion
EE1-2: Motion
EE1-3: Door Contact
EE1-4: Glass Break
EE1-5: Motion
EE1-6: Blank
EE1-7: Motion

Then EE1-8 through EE1-16 are empty also, not being used.

So where do my EOL resistors go, and how should i wire them in?

Sorry that was a little confusing.

You don't need them on unused zones, I only mentioned adding them to the panel if you wanted - completely optional.
With them installed you can monitor the internal panel circuitry by looking at the zone values.
Without them you will see open circuit values.

As for the zones you ARE using. You HAVE to use EOL resistors.
A security contact (your door Zone 3) should be a NC contact which opens the circuit when the zone opens. So you need to wire a 1K Ohm resistor as close to the contact as possible and in series.
That means the wire loop passes from the "-" side of the panel, through the resistor, through the contact and back to the "+" side of the panel.
One continuous loop.

In your example above you would need EOL resistors on zones 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7.

I assume 6 is unused as are 8-16 as stated.
AFAIK, you don't have to put resistors on the unused zones.
Leave them as "Aux" and don;t include in any programming and the system doesn't even look at them.
If you look at the zone readings on a console the unused zones will look like open circuits, as they are.

Unless it is a typo above you have two motion sensors on Zone 2.
In that case you only use ONE EOL resistor. You must wire the entire zone in one continuous loop.
That means the wire loop passes from the "-" side of the panel, through the resistor, through the first sensor, through the second sensor, and back to the "+" side of the panel.
One continuous loop.
If you have home run the sensor wires back to the panel, you can connect them together in series there. Place the EOL at one of the sensors (in series).

In my examples above, "-" and "+" are completely arbitrary.
You don't HAVE to wire the EOL to the "-" side, they are interchangeable as long as it is only a single loop.

Do you have the install manuals? They depict proper zone wiring. Pictures are probably betetr than my verbiage.
The Worthington free online guides are pretty good too. They show a good trick for wiring the EOL to a motion sensor that has a tamper circuit if yours has one.

Thanks, got it. Yes it was a typo.

I put the resistors at the panel, because we've already installed the devices where they will be going and I honestly dont wanna take things apart.

I put them on the negative side. So it goes Panel -> Resistor -> Wire -> Contact -> Back to panel on positive side.

Works fine.

Great news!

Electrically the resistors at the panel look the same.

IIRC, placing them at the true end of line allows for easier trouble shooting.

I use the 3/8†stubby set w/ terminals and 1K resistor from GRI.
The resistor is built into the contact.

The only thing you have to be careful about is that if you daisy chain zones the EOL contact must be at the end of the zone. So you would just use one contact with the built in resistor and regular contacts on the other zones on that chain.

I prefer to homerun every zone.

Same... allows me to troubleshoot exact zones. But for those places (like schools) that have a TONNNNNNNNN of sensors, then daisy chaining them is easier. But for our own office, we ran wires for E V E R Y T H I N G you name it, we ran it, and i kid you not its ran, lol

Back