HAI OmniPro2/Homeseer/Alexa issue with one particular button

wdeertz

Hopefully this is the right forum and someone can help.

Recently added HomeSeer to my system to allow Alexa integration. I have Alexa working where I can control all my lights, thermostats and several commonly used buttons. However I have one button that fails to work. The button is used for opening my main water valve. Below is a synopsis of the situation.

Alexa Turn On Close Water Valve - Alexa responds ok and the Water Valve closes
Alexa Turn on Open Water valve - Alexa responds ok but the water valve doesnt open
The open and close water valve buttons work fine within HAI using Space or Snaplink
Within the Alexa app I can manually activate either the open or close button with no problem

Anyone have any suggestions on why Alexa isnt passing the command to OP2 in this particular case?

I find that Alexa sometimes gets confused with device names and action words.  My first guess would be that the phrase "Turn on Open" is confusing since "Open" is an action.  If you rename that device to just "Water Valve", see if "Alexa, Turn on Water Valve" works.

For a device like that, I would try to structure it as an on/off device where you could simply use "Alexa, Turn On Water Valve" and "Alexa, Turn Off Water Valve".

I have read about issues with open and close Amazon Echo commands.

Maybe try just :

Alexa Turn On Water Valve and Alexa Turn Off Water Valve?

pete_c said:
I have read about issues with open and close Amazon Echo commands.

Maybe try just :

Alexa Turn On Water Valve and Alexa Turn Off Water Valve?
 Pete and others thanks for the replies.  I am always impressed by the wealth of information available on this forum.  I didn't realize how the action word works in the HomeSeer configuration.  I am now able to use both buttons with Turn On Main Water Valve and Turn Off Main Water Valve.  For some reason I am unable to get the buttons to work with the action words of "Open" Main Water Valve and "Close" Main Water Valve which would be a more natural way of saying it.  Are Open and Close not allowed action words?

Googling found this:

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:04 PM

I got a support response back from Michel K, he tells me that "open" and "close" are now reserved and restricted by Amazon for door locks.  Not sure why stus' would work then, or why anyone would say "close the door" to lock it...

pete_c said:
Googling found this:

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:04 PM

I got a support response back from Michel K, he tells me that "open" and "close" are now reserved and restricted by Amazon for door locks.  Not sure why stus' would work then, or why anyone would say "close the door" to lock it...
Pete, thanks, from that link it seems the open/close usage gets different results. I”ll stick to the on/off for now.

Thinking next Amazon stuff generation with video / AI will allow better user authentication for use. (using facial and voice recognition).

In the early 2000's built a touchscreen kiosk (no audio) with not passive biometrics authentication that worked really well (for work aeroplane stuff).  It was an IBM based Kiosk at the time.

Back