HAI OP2 "NO CONTROLLER DATA"

bighorn

Hello,
Here is what I'm experiencing:
1) HAI Keypads start beeping and keypad display reads NO CONTROLLER DATA.  
2) OPII loses all Automation programming.  Determined by using PCA.
3) Using PCA I rewrite automation blocks from file to OP2.
4) OPII runs as expected for a few hours or days then starts beeping and keypad display reads NO CONTROLLER DATA.  
This is now happening on a daily basis.  

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks for your help and support.

OP2 v4.0B

I've only seen this one in the last ~ 15 years or so with one serial OmniTouch controller gone bad.  It was me that caused the issue by switching  the power leads to the device.

Never seen this on all of the keypads / serial OmniTouch screens.

Guessing you have checked the battery (or batteries).  Bad lightning storm could damage the board.

Supposing you have checked the big capacitor near the power supply on the motherboard for leaking (exploding capacitor).

Supposing you have disconnected the battery and power supply for a time and checked powered zones for shorts. 

Never seen this.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Send it back to Leviton for repair.

pete_c said:

I've only seen this one in the last ~ 15 years or so with one serial OmniTouch controller gone bad.  It was me that caused the issue by switching  the power leads to the device.

Never seen this on all of the keypads / serial OmniTouch screens.

Guessing you have checked the battery (or batteries).  Bad lightning storm could damage the board.

Supposing you have checked the big capacitor near the power supply on the motherboard for leaking (exploding capacitor).

Supposing you have disconnected the battery and power supply for a time and checked powered zones for shorts. 

Never seen this.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Send it back to Leviton for repair.

Hi Pete,
As always, thanks for the quick reply and help. 

"Guessing you have checked the battery (or batteries).  Bad lightning storm could damage the board."
When I check the battery with my voltage meter it reads 13.7v, but checking the battery level in PCA it reads "0" but   My battery is a 12v, 7Ah value regulated lead acid battery and is over 5 years old. When I disconnect the battery I don't get the usual low battery beeps.  Does this give you any insight into the problem?

After reading your post, I just installed a new spare transformer and can hopefully pick up a new battery tomorrow. 

Thanks again!

Good news. 

The battery level in PCA sometimes takes a bit to come up from zero on a reboot after a disconnect.

This past week I lost my outdoor temperature sensor (after 15 years of use).  I initially disconnected the battery and heard no beeps then disconnected the power.

Here change the battery by default every 3 years. 

Many years ago switched over to using an Elk power supply.

Please let us know if the new battery and power supply fixes your issues.

Thanks Pete.  You are correct as the battery level is now at 221.  I'll buy a replacement battery and let you know if the new ELK transformer and battery fix the issue.  

Just checked my battery level here and it is at 230.  221 isn't bad though.

Check the 12VDC output to make sure it is at 12VDC.  A short there on one of your devices will take it below 12VDC.  Use a VOM to test it.

IE: less than 12VDC might not be enough to entirely power up the keypads causing serial communications errors.

Hi Pete,
It's been 24 hours and with the new ELK power supply I haven't had a system reset.  Ordered a new battery, but based on your comments, I'm guessing the power supply is more of the root cause.  
Thanks again for your help.
Geoff

Good news Geoff!

Reason I switched over to the Elk PS was cuz it included a ground terminal where as the original HAI PS did not.  Thinking I switched power supplies a month or two after initial OmniPro 2 panel installation.

Are they still doing that?

Yes.

Update.  I'm happy to report that it's been over two weeks since I changed our my ELK power supply and back up battery and I've been trouble free.   Guessing the PS was failing and I had an old battery.    So if you have similar issues, I'd suggest changing out the PS....simple and cheap solution.

Issue Background:</p>
  • Stable HAI OP2 (4.0B) in place for 10+ years with no changes to hardware/software in 2 years.</li>
  • While away on vacation I received Omni Notifier message Freeze Alarm &quot;FREEZE ALARM TRIPPED</li>
  • 5 minutes later I received Omni Notifier message ALARM RESET</li>
  • It's the middle of the summer and I live the desert so I knew it couldnt be freezing in my house, but couldnt access my panel via MyroHome app.</li>
  • A week later I returned home to find both my HAI keypad beeping and reporting NO CONTROLLER DATA (NCD)

Solutions Attempted:</p>
  • Did a system reboot by disconnecting battery and turning power off/on. Keypads still report NCD</li>
  • Disconnected battery and unplugged Ethernet cable and OmniNotifier cables and waitied 2 hours: Keypads report NCD. Pushed white reset button. NCD.</li>
  • Checked Power Level Outputs: Battery level: initially reported 12v, but later tests show ~13.5v, Tested connected Elk Power Supply 28.3v, Other Brand PS reported 27.2v. Swapped Elk with backup PS, reboot and still NCD.</li>
  • Connected a backup HAI keypad by short wiring it directly to panel. (Existing two keypads not connected while short wired keypad is connected.) Rebooted and NCD.
  • Tried Keyboard reset of hold 7 and down arrow, gets beeps, but then shows ??????????????????????????. Hold down 7 and down arrow and keypad returns to NCD. When the instructions say hit key 0-9 does that mean any of the 10 keys or 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9? I think Ive tried most combinations, but maybe somebody has some insights.<br />

System Status:
  • OP2 Blinks LED status two solid and center LED pulses/per second.</li>
  • Ethernet LED light flash and stops flashing when unplug CAT5, then flashed when Ethernet is connected again.
  • Omni Notifier yellow LEDs flash.
  • Panel &quot;appears' to be functioning, but I cannot access it via Keypads or PCAccess via Ethernet.

I have also tried to connect via Serial connection, but historically havent done Serial connections and Im not sure if my PCAccess is configured correctly for Serial Connection and/or if my USB adaptor is working. Would prefer to connect via Ethernet.

Note that I have two Keypads connected to panel and both report NCD. The short wired Keypad is an older back up Keypad that also reports NCD.<br />

Im posting this under my previous thread to see if the problems are related. The difference now is that I cannot access panel via Ethernet PCAccess to write to controller previous file.<br />

Anyone have a similar experience or suggestions on a solution? Thanks!</p>

Back