HAI switches resetting

PigsDad

Ok, I have this problem in two locations in my house now. I am using the HAI 600W UPB dimmers in a 2-gang box with another switch in that box. In one case, the other switch is an HAI relay switch that controls a standard bathroom fan. In the second case, the other switch is a ceiling fan 3-speed control.

Here is the problem: In both locations, if the 600W dimmer switch's light is on and I turn the other device (ceiling fan, bath fan) on, the 600W dimmer switch will reset. The light goes off, the led on the switch flashes red a couple of times, and then the light will go back to it's original state. It is like the initial power surge of the fans are causing the HAI dimmer switch (which is just in the same 2-gang box) to reset.

Has anyone else seen this? Since it is happening in two separate locations, it seems unlikely that it is an isolated, bad switch. I do have a Simply Automated UPB switch sitting around, so I was going to try to replace the HAI dimmer w/ that to see if it has the same issues.

Any ideas on what to do about this? Should I contact HAI directly?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Kurt

I'm guessing it has something to do with the dimming or fade rate that is pre-programmed. In upstart disable the dimming under options that should clear it up. As far as true high, med, low settings for the fan, you'll have to use the pull chain.

Does this answer anything for you?

Ok, I have this problem in two locations in my house now. I am using the HAI 600W UPB dimmers in a 2-gang box with another switch in that box. In one case, the other switch is an HAI relay switch that controls a standard bathroom fan. In the second case, the other switch is a ceiling fan 3-speed control.

Here is the problem: In both locations, if the 600W dimmer switch's light is on and I turn the other device (ceiling fan, bath fan) on, the 600W dimmer switch will reset. The light goes off, the led on the switch flashes red a couple of times, and then the light will go back to it's original state. It is like the initial power surge of the fans are causing the HAI dimmer switch (which is just in the same 2-gang box) to reset.

Has anyone else seen this? Since it is happening in two separate locations, it seems unlikely that it is an isolated, bad switch. I do have a Simply Automated UPB switch sitting around, so I was going to try to replace the HAI dimmer w/ that to see if it has the same issues.

Any ideas on what to do about this? Should I contact HAI directly?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Kurt

I have the same issue in two locations. One is in a bedroom where the HAI dimmer is next to a standard on/off switch connected to a ceiling fan. The other is an HAI dimmer next to an HAI relay.

In both cases, the dimmer is often (but not always) reset by the use of the other switch. By 'use' I mean either on or off, although it's generally when turning the other switch off.

This is really only a nuisance as far as I can tell - no switches have been damaged that I know of. I'd obviously like to prevent this, if possible. Any ideas are welcome.

That's kinda strange. I have several multigang location with an SAI US240 next to dimmers, fan controllers, etc and they never have a problem like this. I would check with HAI to see if that is a common problem they know about. If not I guess I would check my wiring in those boxes just to be 100% sure all my connection were good and tight. The key to a good electrical connection is a good mechanical connection (an electrician told me that once), meaning twist your wires well first. I know it sounds unlikely (and probably is) but worth a look.

I would suspect a programming issue in Upstart. If you would like, you can email me the Upstart file and I'll have one of the guys take a look at it.

Back