House renovation need to automate

slash32487

need some recommendations on how to automate my new home that i am renovating. rennovations start next week

most importantly i want to hard wire all spots of my house in the event i decide to add anything.
my current priorities 
TVs with hidden wires and boxes. 

All new switches preferably multizone single switches 

All new outlets with usb. some with cat5. a friend put in some usb deticated outlets in his ceiling for his nest cam. i like the out of the box thinking.

Alarm system

thermostats I think ive sold myself on ecobee4

in wall speaker system for living room and master bedroom. ive used polk in the past. not married to it.

outdoor cameras i think hardwired with local storage is the way to go.

indoor cameras. I'm currently using a Arlo Q and planning to buy a Arlo baby baby to replace it. i just really dont like the fact there is no local storage. i only need indoor camera systems for my 2 babies rooms.

Doorbell

if i have enough i would also like a blinds setup.

if there is anything im missing let me know

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum Slash32486!!!!

The infrastructure you are creating with the new house renovating is very cost effective as most of the cost is in wire and labor.

It is a topic that is much discussed on the Cocoontech forum.  There are many tried and true methodologies relating so said endeavor.

Have a read here.  Notice that this is a compilation of documents from 2006. 

Wiring your New House 101

A smidgen of info relating to your doorbell.

Below in the for sale section there are Elk analog doorbell / telephone 3 packs for sale.

ELK Doorbell & Telephone Ring Detector - ELK-930

Combining one with an Elk debounce circuit will allow for easy alarm connectivity.  (wired way).

Adding more wires (like network) and LV will enable a camera and a bit more intelligence to a doorbell.

Many of the posts here while relating to whole home automation / security / media are also granular with specific projects relating to security and automation and media.

IE: like the doorbell, garage, CCTV, Irrigation, Lighting, et al.  Best to make yourself a checklist relating to your wiring needs for today and tomorrow. 

Relating to lighting (120VAC) recently noticed that it is more than just automation and said endeavor should involve a lighting design person or company.  There is also a mix of low voltage lighting and that uses DC or AC which should be addressed.

This way you can wire, install chases et al.

Post your wiring punch list and I am sure many folks here will comment.

This is a very involved subject.  Here's some wiring info.

Start by figuring where your equipment  is going to be placed.  This is the main hub area, head end, structured wiring service center or what ever you want to call it.  Bring in your wires for service from outside.  A minimum of two RG6 Copper Clad Quad shielded coax and two Cat6.  Also run in a 16ga wire from here as well for possible power for fiber.  Maybe someday I hope. 

To each entertainment center run two RG6 quads and two Cat6.  Run a Coax and Cat 6 as well to any Wall mounted TV's.z   All Coax outlets should have a Cat6 at it as well.  I also like to run a couple extra coax to the South side of the attic with to Cat6 as well.  This is for a possible dish or any other spares.  You may not be running to the South side but in Texas we do. wire from here in a star topography.  

Next cover your Audio wiring.  Go back to the entertainment center where the equipment may reside or back to the head end.  Depends on  what you are installing.  But just to be safe, run a 1 or 1 1/2 flexible conduit with a pull string form the head  end to each entertainment center as well as to the attic.  Finally, if you have a fire place splitting the two sides for equipment, run a conduit between the two as well.  

For the cameras, run 2 cat6 to each location.  Add extra wiring for any future cameras.         

Don't skimp on the wire and make sure it is all rated for the intended use.  Electricians will often run what they run for builders which may be ok or just cheap so they get the bid.  Check what they are using. Use RG6 Quad Shield that  is copper clad and all terminations should be a compression  type fitting not crimped.  If it is coax for audio stay to the same quad shield but use solid copper.  You can use cat5e but use cat6 as it is not that more expensive.  Guage for the audio wiring is too long of a subject o just use nothing smaller then 16ga and make sure it is 65 strand oxygen free and you will be  ok. Don't forget the power, surge and HDMI.  Arlington makes some nice hidden boxes for all that stuff including some UL listed for 110 as well as low voltage. 

Don't know about the USB idea.  I don't like a cluttered ceiling and would probably use a camera in the baby's room i could move around that just st on a shelf.  By the way, my outlets in my study (USB) are obsolete already. 

Lighting is a preference but I like Lutron RadioRa.  My main reason are the plate colors they offer.  You name it, they make it.  I hate plates that do not match and I also am a big fan  of screw less and as little as possible wall plates.  Is it the best, probably not. But the wife likes hey way it looks in the house.   

You don't want to use CCS or CCA wherever possible. It's a cost saving move that will bite you in the long run. Oxygen free cable is also a myth, same as the Monster cable fallacies. 65 strand cable is mainly for the added flexibility compared to say a 26 strand cable....no electrical characteristic change.

There are a lot of myths and urban legends when it comes to cabling, types, methods and constructions. The majority are either economic or marketing ploys. The biggest thing is to pull the correct type and AWG for the application.

And...

As much cable and or chases you can run.

I also ran cable from the wiring closet to one side of the house for satellite television and the other side of the house for whatever transport would be utilized for internet and television.  (plus OTA cables).

Plus irrigation, perimeter CCTV, perimeter sensors, driveway...

Personally prefer to run cables even though I may not use all of them.

I am supposing that you have picked a central wiring to place.  It could could be just a space or a closet with a door.  It is up to you.

If using architectural drawings pencil in your stuff and make lists.  Don't worry about terminations yet as that can be done after construction is completed.  It is cheaper to purchase spools of cable and in spools of 1000 feet.  Personally most expensive wire was the 16/4 and 16/2 speaker cabling.  Least expensive is the alarm cable which is 22/4 or 22/2.  You also want to make sure you are purchasing pure copper network cable. 

If you are working on the electrical in the house it would be a good time to maybe neaten up the wiring going to the electrical fuse panel.  Adding surge protection would be beneficial.  Here divided up the breakers a bit getting granular.  Added some circuits to divide up the family room multimedia stuff.   Deep wall switch boxes with a hot and neutral wire plus whatever used for switches.

Back