Low battery signal on Omnipro 2

kaohao

Good evening, I'm getting a low battery signal on the keypad. I checked status through PC access and the main op2 board and one of the five expansion emclosures say the battery is good. I checked all 6 batteries with a multimeter and they all read the same, and I also swapped out the batteries between the omnipro and the properly functioning expansion enclosure with the batteries from the enclosures that are giving the low reading. In other words, a seemingly strong battery is giving this low signal if it is in one of the "bad" enclosures, and vice versa. Apparently there is some problem in the way that the omnipro is "seeing" the batteries from the "bad" enclosures. Any ideas?

First, how old are your batteries? The time from the date of manufacture is the best age indicator, rather than how long you've had them installed.

After you substitute a "good" battery for one of the "bad" batteries in the expansion enclosure, are you seeing a low battery indication immediately?

I believe the OP2 and the expansion enclosures test the batteries at periodic intervals (1 hour?).  The low battery condition will not be cleared when you swap the batteries, but will wait until the next battery test.   So if you aren't waiting until after the next battery test, you aren't seeing the true result of the battery swap.

Measuring the voltage of the battery with a multimeter won't necessarily tell you if the battery is good or not.  The OP2 does a test under load, and if the voltage drops too low (or too quickly), then it gives the low battery indication.  If you just check the voltage with the battery disconnected, or connected and charging, that won't tell you anything useful.

I think that the load test is done using the actual load from the devices connected to the enclosure.  So if you have a heavier load on one enclosure vs another, that could also explain why the enclosure gives a low battery indication no matter which battery you connect to it (assuming all the batteries are about the same age).

Check the battery fuse with the ohmmeter. I have recently had similar issue and it turned out the fuse blew out on one of the expansion boards

Back