Motion Sensor for Garage

mistert

Guys I am adding a UMI-32 module in my garage in order to integrate it with the rest of my home automation system. I want to be able to add a motion sensor to the module that will come on if motion is sensed and the light switch is not on. Iam thinking that a standard 12 volt sensor should be good enough to make this happened. Can anyone give me some advice on this?

I looked at the umi-32 install manual and it says that input1 and input2 can sense a contact closure. A motion detector is a simple contact closure and it looks like the umi-32 should have no trouble detecting it. As far as using  an output to turn on a light it would depend on what type of light you are atalking about. If you need to turn on a 120vac light then you will need to use a relay between the umi-32 output and the 120vac load. Then once the input and output are are all wired up you will have to write rules to make it happen.

Mike.

If you are trying to control a light on the 120vac system then I think that it would be neater to install a upb dimmer on the light that you want to control rather than a umi-32.

Mike.

So mike the UMI-32 is primarily to control my garage door. I want to then add the motion sensor as a backup for the 4 florescent lights that are they and tied to a US-140. Any type of motion sensor would do as long as it can turn on /off the lights if they are accidentally left on.

The way I understand it

1 - you will control your garage door using your automation panel to control the um-32 output.
2 - you will connect a motion detector to the automation panel to detect motion.
3 - you will connect usb UPB system to automation panel to turn usb dimmer switch on and off.

What control panel do you have? Given that the above is true then with my Elk I would write rules to detect the motion and then detect the state of the light and then take the appropriate action.

1. that is correct
  2. the motion detector will plug in the UMI-32 module
  3. is correct.
I am running an omnipro II. I think that what you have said about the rule is correct , but what type of motion sensor would you recommend.

mistert said:
, but what type of motion sensor would you recommend.

I can highly recommend the one motion detector that I have here, it's the Bosch Blue Line Gen2 TriTech

https://us.boschsecurity.com/us_product/products/intrusionalarmsystems/detectorsandaccessories/motionpirmicrowave/bluelinegen2tritechmotion/bluelinegen2tritechmotion_23321

This was recommended to me by DELinstallations and has worked like a charm. It covers a nice area and has never false alarmed. It does require four wires, two for a 12 vdc power source in addition to two wires from the zone on your panel. The motion behaves the same as a window or door contact in that it closes when there is motion and is open when there is no motion or visa versa (I don't remember if it is NO or NC).

Mike.

Ok if the motion requires wires to run back to the panel . That is a no go. as the house is a 2 story home and there is no way to run wires without opening walls which will get me skinned.

There are wireless motion detectors but it would require a wireless transceiver to be installed to the Omni which adds significantly to the cost. On the other had it will give you wireless capability for other devices in those hard to get to places.

Back