NVR Suggestions

jay01

Hello,
I've used a lot of Avermedia's PC based NVR cards in the past and love how they work across all platforms (PC, Web, Mobile) with a great feature set, however I'm trying to get away from maintaining a PC. What's a good standalone NVR option these days for higher end residential or small commercial installs that has a reliable web and mobile (ios mainly) interface? So many of the NVR's I've looked at have buggy mobile apps with poor support. The main feature set on the mobile side would be multi camera view, easy recording review, easy way to find motion on cameras, etc.. 

Thanks!

Verint Nextiva or Milestone come to mind. You'd typically brew your own machine or buy their pre-configured unit.

Genetec or Salient also come to mind.

I'm new to the NVR game, but I looked at a few off the shelf NVRs which all seem to use P2P PoE connections. I can't run new wires to all my locations and really didn't want to scrap my existing wireless IP cams.

So with some reassurance of some friends who are in home automation business, I just finished repurposing a 5 year old Core 2 Quad machine running ZoneMinder as my Linux based NVR. I did upgrad my router to a dual core AC router to handle the additional traffic. So far so good.

The great thing about ZM is it supports many different types of cameras (IP, USB, analog with capture cards, etc.), and it uses a MySQL database to store motion events for easy and fast recall thru a simple platform independent web page. I think ZM/Linux also supports Avermedia cards which might allow you to get some more mileage out of them. I forgot to mention there are a few native iOS apps which will connect to your ZM server. That is of course you don't care for the simple web interface.

New Linksys (Belkin) EA6900 AC1900 router flashed with DD-WRT: $125 (BestBuy price match and back to school tax holiday)
DIY NVR Hardware: $0 (Repurposed Machine)
Enjoyment of finding a simple low cost solution: Priceless

Back