Optoma ep1690 Power Supply Problem

rbr451

I had set up a home system with an Optoma ep1690 projector. Probably a bad choice for everyday television usage. The power supply burnt out while still under warranty, so I sent it back and got it fixed. It happened again just out of warranty. I'm not willing to send it back and pay them to fix it. I have the technical skills to change out the supply myself, but can't find one.

I've replaced it as my primary television with a flat screen, but I'd still like to fix it for movies, etc. If anyone knows of a source for parts, I'd appreciate it. I've tried looking for a used one on eBay and other places, but can't find one. I'd rather get a new power supply, anyway.

Right now it's just a big, expensive paperwieght.

Thanks

Is the power supply built into the unit? If so it might be specially built by Optoma for that unit. You can get discreet electronic parts from places like Digikey.com and mouser.com.

Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear about the projector.

Have you contacted Optoma to see if they will sell you the part directly? Or is it one of those deals where they want to do the labor too? I figure you probably already have, but thought I would ask.

Also, you may look at the power supply for the make & model, if not by Optoma, and search by that rather than "ep1690 power supply". Best of luck on finding your part.

Thanks for the replies.

Optoma won't sell the part. They want to do the work themselves. I'll check out the sources you mentioned. Could be helpful.

As for the actual part number, I'll have to take it apart again to check, but searching by part number is a good idea. I hadn't thought of it. (feeling like an idiot)

I'm pretty sure it's a dedicated power supply. It's much too complex with several hookups to be off the shelf. I had already thought of that one and threw the idea out. Thanks, tho.

Randy

Didn't the new power supply come with a new warranty? Any chance you used a credit card to pay for that projector, which might double the manufacturer warranty?

Dan,

No, the new power supply didn't affect the existing warranty. So no luck there. Optoma wasn't very helpful or even courteous when I called to ask them about it.

I paid with a debit card. I'll check, but I don't think that's going to help. I'm pretty much stuck.

Randy

If you can, take some pics from different angles showing all the markings/labels. Posting pictures of the internals might help as well, maybe it is something as 'simple' as a blown capacitor.

I'll do that. It might be a day or 2 before I can get to it. If it's a cap, great, but if I remember right (it's been a couple of months since I had it apart) it was at least one rectifier. I've done a little work on power supplies before, but this one is pretty complex. From memory, the dimensions are something like 6"x3"x2" and packed with components. Obviously, I don't have a schematic to work from, so any parts would have to be identified by labels.

It's worth a shot, though. Got nothing to lose. I'll try to get the pictures taken today or tomorrow and post them here.

Back