Outdoor Edison dimmable lamps - 9th of April, 2021

pete_c

Guru
Just switched my outdoor coach lamps to the Edison style (with LED filaments) from the older Philips crystalline base lamps.

I am impressed so far as the entire bulb is clear glass and dims well versus the large base on the Philips style base lamps.

Not sure how long these will last outdoors at this time.  Updated Coach lamps at the same time.

I put some in outdoor sconces on a patio, over an outdoor fireplace.  They're still working fine 7 years later.  They don't get turned on regularly, so not a ton of powered-on-hours.  But winter/summer temps, full sun exposure and high mid-atlantic area humidity hasn't killed them yet.

Yes here for the bathrooms put in clear LED bulbs with LED filaments (C14's X 6 X 12 X 6) over the mirrors 4 years ago or so and they are doing fine these days.

For outside coach lamps always used clear standard base candelabra crystalline bulbs and really liked those and have yet to see an LED replacement of said bulb.  4 years ago installed the philips candlebra LED lamps.  They have a large base which I really did not like.  I still would prefer a crystalline look for the LED lamps.

For the deck lighting use the kichler half moon lighting (mini sconces on the rails). I buried the wires under the deck railing tops. They used to be incandescent and I converted them to LED. It is nice indirect lighting. For the grill area installed a 4 X 4 post near the grill and ran an 120VAC outlet there plus a lamp over the grill with 2 switches; one by the grill and one in the house. Then there is also the coach lamp near the door (sliding glass door) which I use everyday but it doesn't illuminate the entire deck. My Son has a grill and smoker on the deck. He uses the smoker more than the grill lately.

In all of the table lamps here use clean LED filament style bulbs.  I was using the incandescent clear bulbs before going to LED.  This is the same as the chandelier at the entrance of the house.  I did install a chandelier lift on the old chandelier but never replaced the clear incandescent bulbs there.  That said today do not even turn on the chandelier these days.

Back