Product Suggestion

Photon

In installing my new system, I placed a "sub panel" about 100 feet from my M1G. I've read numerous posts by cocooners with similar setups because of an detached workshop, garage, or barn. I pulled a half-dozen Cat5 cables along with a 16awg pair for 12vdc for sensors that need power such as PIRs and Glass Breaks. I expect to have about six to eight input devices and four to six output devices. I may eventually put an M1XIN and power supply at the sub panel and abandon some of the Cat5 cables.

Spanky and company, when you run out of things to design and bring to market, please consider adding an expansion module that has both inputs and outputs on the same board. Eight of each seems about right. Due to the examples of outbuildings described in the previous paragraph, people who would use such an expansion might be willing to pay a bit extra for a temperature probe on such a module as well.

Better yet, an alternate EPROM on an M1EZ8 aimed at such a repurpose allowing it to pass input/output data on the RS485 bus as a client to an M1G would do nicely. And a complete battery charging system is already included. Not needing the code to handle any telephone communications would free up some memory space, and there are probably other subsystems that could be dropped. Maybe even the rules engine.

There, I'm convinced. Anyone else out there that would spend enough money on such an animal to make it worth ELK's trouble/expense?

Regards,
John

if you need both an input expander and an output expander, why don't you just run the wire for a databus hub, and connect the expanders to that?

"if you need both an input expander and an output expander, why don't you just run the wire for a databus hub, and connect the expanders to that? "

Sure, and the databus hub isn't really necessary. A dedicated combo I-O board with eight inputs and eight outputs could probably be offered for not much more cost than an input board by itself.

The two boards would cost nearly the same as the EZ8 (board only), and the EZ8 could do more.

Back