Proximity/RFID sensors that work *directly* with the M1

signal15

http://www.ananiahelectronics.com/RF8315R-s.htm

This stuff is cheap. I picked one up from Cliste, and there was a problem. The ID of each tag is sent over the serial port followed by a space. I had to plug the receiver into a linux box and do some magic with socat before I piped it off to the M1. The M1 requires that each text string is followed by a CRLF, not a space. I contacted the manufacturer, the guy who runs the site above, and asked if he could help me. He sent me 3 modified chips that output the tag ID's in the format the M1 needs. So I can now plug it directly into the ELK. It works!

He told me that if you order one of these and are using it with the M1, that you must let him know you need the modified software on it.

Then, you just toss a tag on whatever you want, and you can write rules like this to tell if it is in range or not:

Code:
WHENEVER THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS RECEIVED: "1RWt^M" THROUGH SERIAL PORT 1
	 THEN TURN OUTPUT 208 ON FOR 1 MINUTE (reset timer if already running)
WHENEVER OUTPUT 8 TURNS ON
	 THEN DO SOMETHING LIKE ANNOUNCE YOUR WIFE IS HOME
	 THEN OPEN THE GARAGE
WHENEVER OUTPUT 8 TURNS OFF
	 THEN ANNOUNCE YOUR WIFE IS LEAVING YOU AND SHE'S TAKING THE CAR

Note that the tags send their ID every 2.5 seconds. I'm turning on the output for 1 minute because they are short range and you might miss some of the broadcasts. Also note that you must follow the tag ID with the ^M when you create your texts/rules or the M1 won't recognize it.

You'll need a serial expander. The default settings on mine were fine. But you need to set it up for 9600 baud, and ensure that the jumper to power the DTR pin is turned on. I couldn't get mine to work initially. Turns out my DTR power jumper was making flaky contact. I replaced it with a new jumper and it worked instantly.

At $35 for the receiver, and about $20 for tags, it's a cheap endeavor to be able to tell when cars leave or come home, to tell you if you forgot to take out the garbage, or if something expensive is leaving the property that probably shouldn't (like a lawnmower or computer). They have tags with several different ranges. You can shorten the range by trimming the antenna, or I think the 8 meter tags have a switch in them also to half the power output. I haven't looked in mine yet. Batteries are CR2032's, and are supposed to last 5 years in the tags. I bought spares off ebay, 20 for $5 or so. Don't waste your money at local stores, they want $5 each.

Just make sure if you order them, you tell him that you need the firmware that outputs "0xD0xA" instead of a space after each tag ID.

They have another model of receiver that outputs RSSI signal information for the tag ID's as they are received. It would be quite useful for estimating position within the house or on the property, but you'll have to plug them into a linux or windows box to do the logic there. Obviously the ELK can't parse and make sense of the RSSI data.

This sounds pretty cool. One of the major issues I have heard regarding these tags is that you can't mix long range and short range tags without having problems. Do you find this to be the case?

Great work! People have often asked if it was possible to do this directly into the M1 and it appears you are the first to actually do it.

Does the RF8315R-s need an external power supply or is the XSP sufficient to drive it?

Which tags are you using? I think most people get less than 1 year on a CR2032. IIRC, there was one nice transmitter package that CheaperRFID offered was one with 12VDC input for easy permanent automotive tagging

http://www.ananiahelectronics.com/RF8315R-s.htm = Ananiah Electronics RF8315R-s RFID (so that the search engine can find this thread, it doesn't parse URLs)

The page for the RF8315T say 7000 hours with the CR2032. That's less than one year. Where do you get five years? Certainly would be nice if it is five years.

Ira

I guess the question is that 7,000 use hours or 7,000 real hours because it is only really in use for .01 second every 2.5 seconds.

edit:

OK, looking back at their web site they say - Power Consumption: 4mA when transmitting, 19uA when idle
so they are already considering the duty cycle of the transmit/idle period in their life calculation. So I agree you will only get about 291 - 292 days out of a battery.

This sounds pretty cool. One of the major issues I have heard regarding these tags is that you can't mix long range and short range tags without having problems. Do you find this to be the case?

I have two 40 meter tags, and four 8 meter tags. They all work just fine. I haven't noticed any problems. I have all 6 tags going right now, and none of my timers have expired. Whenever a timer expires, this means the tag ID has not been received for 1 minute, and the system speaks a message to let me know. I have not had any false "out of range" incidents.

The page for the RF8315T say 7000 hours with the CR2032. That's less than one year. Where do you get five years? Certainly would be nice if it is five years.

The battery life number I got was from Cliste Electronics since that was where I purchased mine. Apparently they were incorrect on the battery life number, we'll find out. ;) However, if you buy them, it's best to go through the link I posted above, as Cliste was unable to provide me firmware that would work with the Elk. Another thing to note is that depending on the case you get for it, you may be able to put a couple of AAA batteries in the case instead of the 2032. That would give you roughly 6 times the battery life (CR2032 is about 220mah, AAA is about 1200mah, AA is about 2700). AA's would give you about 12 times the battery life. It all depends on how compact you need the units. Note that my 40 meter tags actually have two 2032's in them, not just one like the 8 meter tags. It might be worth emailing Ananiah to see what their case options are for these. The ones from Cliste came with cases, but they're nothing special.

Does the RF8315R-s need an external power supply or is the XSP sufficient to drive it?

No external power supply. Works just fine from the +12V provided on the DTR pin of the RS-232 connection.

my coin batteries died in a few months. i ended up adding an external battery holder for 2 AAA batteries and rubber banded it to the case. so far its been nearly 2 years since i did this mod to 3 8m transmitters. i've only replaced batteries in one unit and that was last month.

my coin batteries died in a few months. i ended up adding an external battery holder for 2 AAA batteries and rubber banded it to the case. so far its been nearly 2 years since i did this mod to 3 8m transmitters. i've only replaced batteries in one unit and that was last month.

The batteries that came with mine were all over the board in terms of remaining life. One transceiver had batteries that were DOA, which prompted me to test all of them. I ended up replacing about half of them. Remember that many chinese made batteries are the "recycled" ones from the US that get sent back to china for proper disposal, and some companies will rebrand/relabel them and sell them as new (even though they might be dead). Who knows where they got the ones that they are using. If you buy them off Ebay, get a well known brand like Maxell that are still in the package. I bought 100 AA's once for like $5. None of them would power a portable CD player for more than a few seconds. I tore the labels off of them, and underneath was an assortment of labels from different manufacturers. They were clearly recycled batteries.

Throw some of those energizer 1.5v lithium batteries in a case as mentioned above and you'll probably never have to change them...

Back