Pulse counter questions

Ira

I'm completely new to 1-wire, but I stumbled across the Hobby Board dual pulse counter and I'm wondering if it can do what I need.

I want to measure my home's water usage/flow. All water used in the home goes thru a water softener. The softener has a flow meter on it to tell it when it needs to regenerate (it regen's by water volume used instead of elapsed time). The flow meter has three wires between it and the softener electronic controller. According to the schematics, it has a red(+) lead, black(-) lead, and a green(S) lead. The electronics are powered by a 24Vac wall wart. I put a voltmeter across the red and black leads and it showed a constant 19.5Vdc. Voltage across the green and black leads was a constant 5.1Vdc when no water was flowing. With just a slight trickle of water flow (just enough to get the "flow LED" on the controller to flash), the voltage across the green and black leads varied between 5.1Vdc and almost zero (my cheap Exetech meter showed between zero and 6.0mVdc). According to the specs for the softener, the flow meter generates 133 pulses/gal. Maximum flow thru the softener is about 12 gal/min, so max pulses is about 25 pulses/sec.

So...I want to somehow get the data back to my HA system, which currently consists of an Elk M1G panel, CQC HA software, and a Barix Barionet (not used for anything yet). Is the 1-wire pulse counter a way to capture the data I need and get it back to CQC? What additional pieces do I need besides a hub/adapter? The water softener is in an "outbuilding" which is about 150' from my home (where the HA PC is). I have LAN access in the outbuilding, so I would like to communicate via TCP/IP instead of having to run additional wires between my home and the softener location. The Barionet can communicate with the HA PC via TCP/IP, and it supports a 1-wire network, but it says it can only use temp sensors. Is there something similar that I can put in the outbuilding to control the pulse counter and communicate back to the HA PC via TCP/IP? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Ira

I use a Temp05 (now Temp08) at a remote location and it supports the counter and several other sensors. You then need a IP/RS-232 adapter of which there are many options. I happen to use Lantronix and Quatech. Another more integrated solution is the HA7Net with is a 1-wire to IP. There is also an xAP-based solution with the opNode. I have not kept up with how many different 1-wire devices this hardware/firmware supports. If you are UPB-oriented then a Rain8UPB contains a pulse counter input and then you happen to have a set of irrigation valves that may be put into service.

Back