Ripping BluRay's

drvnbysound

So I am finally getting somewhere with my structured wiring and have a [partially] working setup of SageTV (haven't begun to integrate tuners yet) - I am starting off working through my movie library. I have been ripping DVD's to my computers HDD for years now assuming this day would come eventually... and it finally has. That said, I know I have seen posts stating that Sage does support playback of BluRays, but I don't currently have any software that is capable. I did some searching here and via Google as well and it seems that the most recent posts that I have found regarding the subject are circa 2010 or so. I wanted to find out if there are any recommendations?

I really only purchase BluRay's that my wife and I really enjoy so the collection is fairly limited. That said, I really do want to rip the BluRays in the most lossless format as possible... if I wanted a smaller file size I would just get and rip the DVD version.

Also wanted to note that I do have AnyDVD-HD, so the encryption part should be handled in the case that suggest software doesn't have that capability built in.

Thanks in advance.

As long as the Backups are completely legal and all that good stuff... I've done it two ways (and with arguably limited success).

1. If you want original format, you can just go find the actual movie file. I forget exactly where it's located on the disk, but just scan the disc for the largest file on it, and with AnyDVD-HD, copy it off. It'll be playable on other computers.
2. If you want to "Rip" it some more, you can use Handbrake. I know it has everything built-in for ripping DVD's, but I'm not sure it does for bluray (My media PC has the bluray player, and it has AnyDVD-HD on it). Use the highest quality settings, and you probably won't be able to tell it's been ripped - and it'll save quite a bit of space (which matters when you're ripping 50gb discs!).

When it comes to playback, I've been toying around a little with Plex. It has clients for PC, Mac, and the Roku. I found the Roku and a low powered Atom machine really can't handle the blurays; but a more powerful computer does just fine. I'm almost at the point of putting AppleTV's at each TV and dedicating a Mac Mini to broadcasting movies via AirPlay - but it'll be a while before I spend any money on this venture.

Yeah, these are legal copies that we have purchased, which is part of the reason that I only have about 20 of them, and we only get titles that we really like. Otherwise, most of them are DVD.

I just assumed that 3rd party software would be required to copy the needed files off the disc.

I prefer Makemkv. I like the mkv format and the fact that everything is contained in a single file. I also take the time to remove foreign soundtracks, and only grab the main feature.

AnyDVD HD is great for grabbing the source files unaltered, either an image or file structure. This will keep all the extras, menu structure etc.

I use MakeMKV to just get the movie with the audio track into one file. This allows me to remove previews, subtitles etc. MakeMKV also removes encryption.

+1 for MakeMKV

I've used fabDVD.com with great luck. I think I've only had 1 disc with issue copying. It is very easy and staight forward. As far as playback of blurays, there are several options depending on what you are using for clients. I've got a PS3 and WD LiveHub and use PS3Mediaserver to stream to both. If you have xbox, media center works great.
Hope this helps.

Back