Running the Elk off a deep cycle battery array

1.) Is the power from the Elk transformer consider non-power limiting?

2.) Also, if we put a fuse on the battery, and it becomes power limiting are we OK then to run it with all the other power limited wiring?

I know there has been discussions about this previously but I didn't realize there was a fire risk due to running the wiring together.

2.) Also, if we put a fuse on the battery, and it becomes power limiting are we OK then to run it with all the other power limited wiring?

I know there has been discussions about this previously but I didn't realize there was a fire risk due to running the wiring together.

1) The ELK Transformer is a UL Listed Class 2 transformer. While the code does not clearly state it for the purposes of segregation Class 2 and Power Limited are handled the same way.

2) If you out the fuse at the battery then the wiring after the fuse are considered Class 2 (not power limited) but are handled the same way.

Class 2 does not equal Power Limited exactly but in most applications they can be considered equivelant.

1) The ELK Transformer is a UL Listed Class 2 transformer. While the code does not clearly state it for the purposes of segregation Class 2 and Power Limited are handled the same way.

2) If you out the fuse at the battery then the wiring after the fuse are considered Class 2 (not power limited) but are handled the same way.

Class 2 does not equal Power Limited exactly but in most applications they can be considered equivelant.

I'm almost confused - is the answer to Wuench's # 2 question then become "Yes"?

Yeah, Digger, would you mind dumbing it down a little more for this lowly comp sci (not EE).... :)

So if I put a 12V 5Amp fuse on the positive terminal of my battery, am I ok to run the transformer wiring and battery wiring with the zone, etc wiring in my cans?

Yeah, Digger, would you mind dumbing it down a little more for this lowly comp sci (not EE).... :)

So if I put a 12V 5Amp fuse on the positive terminal of my battery, am I ok to run the transformer wiring and battery wiring with the zone, etc wiring in my cans?

Yes......

Sorry when I posted I was in the "work mode" and in the middle of writing installation instructions for a Commercial Fire Alarm System.

Back