Small Electronics Charging Station

tmbrown97

Hi All,

So there was a thread about this a while back - I kinda want to revive the topic. I'm sure there are some interesting devices out there, but I get pretty random search results and want to know if anyone has seen or has any experience with a particular device that seems good.

What I'm looking for - I have so many devices around the house (as I'm sure most of us do) that need to be charged; iPad, iPhones, Point & Shoot cameras; the DSLR, video cameras, ipods, bluetooth headsets, Kindle, etc. I hate looking for chargers - sometimes they're next to the couch, some are in the kitchen junk drawer, etc. Some things are easy - the Harmony Remote always charges in one spot, but the rest of these are all over the house from time to time and can come to a central place to charge.

I want to step things up a little bit and come up with a general "Charging Station" where anything I need to charge can be charged there, and preferably not waste electricity on wall warts and chargers when not in use. It also needs to look as clean as possible - but I am open to the idea of mounting a power supply or something below the counter and putting a grommet in the counter so that just the hookups are visible.

Luckily a lot of things these days can be charged off USB - so a basic powered USB port (or a bunch of them rather) would go a long way. A panel with a bunch of retractable cords would be really nice. And, I'd like to find a way to work the slightly larger devices into there - like to charge the DSLR batteries or the video cameras.

Has anyone tackled this, or seen a really cool product that seems to do it all? If so, I'd love to hear about it. I came across some like a year ago but can't find them - I'm not sure if they ever really took off.

Looking forward to your ideas!

It is a little early to convert to a charging mat but you may want to keep that in mind... it IS coming (I am looking forward to it). Charging Mats/Power Mats generate a RF signal that new phones and other rechargeable devices will receive and convert to electrical power to charge their battery's.

I use a cell phone charger/organizer to keep the phones handy.
electronic-charger-wood.jpg

I have been meaning to build a charging station for various phones, ipods etc. What I plan on doing is using the 12 V car adapters instead of wall warts as they tend to draw little if no idle current.

I can also easily have battery backup so I can charge the phones etc in a blackout.

My plans are to use a 12 V 1.5 A Power supply with battery backup. That should allow me to charge 3 things at a time. If I use an energy star transformer (Level IV) the transformer will be about 80% efficient.

I always misplace my chargers specially when i accidentally leave them at work. It's too expensive (and too cluttered) to buy another set of chargers for all my devices to leave at work. I'm really interested in getting a charging mat. I think the price is ok considering the convenience it gives.

The mats require some sort of "receiver" that's supposed to be compatible with the mat. Is it something I have to install in my devices or do new devices have these receivers automatically?

The mats require some sort of "receiver" that's supposed to be compatible with the mat. Is it something I have to install in my devices or do new devices have these receivers automatically?
I think some devices already have available add-on receivers. And some new.. or soon to be released phones have that built-in. The "mat" isn't completely ready for prime-time... just yet (maybe after Christmas). But even if I could just find a nice [desirable] replacement phone that could rest on its mat when I am at home... that could start the process here.

according to this: http://www.sharperimage.com/Electronics/Po...+Office+Mat.axd

POWERCUBE RECEIVER (8 TIPS INCLUDED)
Tip: Mini USB (default receiver tip) --- Charges These Devices:
• BlackBerry (all models that use Mini USB)
• Many Motorola® phones
• Many HTC® phones
• Many Bluetooth® headsets
• Many GPS devices

Tip: Micro USB Tip --- Charges These Devices:
• Many Motorola® phones
• Many LG® phones
• Many Palm® phones
• Many Bluetooth® headsets

Tip: Apple Tip --- Charges These Devices
• iPod® (all generations)
• iPhone™ (all generations)

Tip: DS® Lite DSi Tip --- Charges These Devices:
• Nintendo DS® Lite

Tip: DSi Tip --- Charges These Devices:
•Nintendo DSi™

Tip: LG 1 Tip --- Charges These Devices:
• Many LG® phones

Tip: Samsung 2 Tip --- Charges These Devices:
• Many Samsung™ phones

Tip: Sony PSP Tip --- Charges These Devices:
• Playstation Portable® • Some Kodak® cameras
Additional tips can be purchased separately

I did consider a powermat at one point, but honestly see no point just yet. Since I use so many iDevices (iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc) and basically you still have to attach your device to a receiver - you're not saving much in cords here, and I can't imagine they charge as reliably or as quickly. Hopefully the technology will improve over the next several years. I like it much better when it can be installed as simply as changing a battery cover (and not affecting overall size/weight).

I saw something at one point kinda like a USB hub - had about 8 ports around it, and a series of tips you could plug in to attach your devices - and IIRC, it even had adapters to charge things like camera batteries. Now for the life of me, I can't find it again.

I looked at the powermat at one point, and did not like the seperate "receiver" idea for the devices it did not have cases for, I would ahev bought it if they had a wider receiver/case selection. I beleive they have ipod and iphone cases with the receiver built in.

I also know what you mean by the round charging station... I cant find it either, but here is a option

http://www.amazon.com/Charge4All-52901V-Po...0280&sr=1-2

Back