wifi mesh network

JimS said:
Now I am getting really confused...  This asus page says the RT-AC68U doesn't support aimesh:

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035163/

But this page states it does:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Dual-Band-AiMesh-Router-AC1900/dp/B00FB45SI4/ref=psdc_300189_t3_B01LXL1AR8

and this page shows it:

https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/Whole-Home-Mesh-WiFi-System/All-series/filter
Missed one letter difference.  Doh!  The first page is the RP-AC68U which is a repeater while the others are RT-AC68U which is a mesh capable router.  The RT-AC66U supports aimesh but for $20 more think I will go with the RT-AC68U. 

JimS said:
Missed one letter difference.  Doh!  The first page is the RP-AC68U which is a repeater while the others are RT-AC68U which is a mesh capable router.  The RT-AC66U supports aimesh but for $20 more think I will go with the RT-AC68U. 
Keep the router vertical if you use the router hard. They overheat very easily if they are mounted horizontal. I have found all routers with higher power CPUs overheat for me when pushed hard. They have 18-2-6 GHz multicore CPUs inside and have a box that is too small. I got muffin fans for all my routers and modems now and keep them on top of each device running on the lowest speeds. The RT-AC68u standing vertically doesn't have that problem but got crappy in summer months,  mounted horizontally.

Turning the power levels down on both bands also helped get further range. When both bands were cranked to 100% my wife's iPad could get 5GHz across the same room as the router. Once I turned both bands down to 50% her iPad worked great anywhere in the house on any floor. That was before mesh was installed and I ran on just an RT-AC68u. I think two bands can overdrive the antennae capability.

JimS said:
If you really need fallover to a second ISP then you could just put a router that can handle 2 WAN upstream of the mesh routers.  Personally, that seems a bit over the top for a home setup given that phones would revert to the cell network.  Maybe others have more trouble with their ISP.  Mine has only been down once for a short time that I can remember in about 15 years. 

As far as the remote node not having backup power that's a valid point but for me is not an issue.  Most of the house is covered by the main unit.  POE would be nice to have and I would think someone would do that.  You could always put a small UPS at the remote node. 

I hear all the time from people who go years without any glitch in their Internet service but I can't remember a time when I went more than 30 days without seeing a router log entry where it failed over to the backup ISP for awhile. Same with power cutting over to a UPS or even all the way to generator (except more like 90 days between power incidents). Maybe someday things will improve but until I get 24 consecutive months with no glitches I will always maintain a backup ISP... and a whole house generator.

I will have to look more closely at the upstream router idea. I am already double NATing through my DSL and T-Mobile connections so I'm not sure how well that would work.

upstatemike said:
I hear all the time from people who go years without any glitch in their Internet service but I can't remember a time when I went more than 30 days without seeing a router log entry where it failed over to the backup ISP for awhile. Same with power cutting over to a UPS or even all the way to generator (except more like 90 days between power incidents). Maybe someday things will improve but until I get 24 consecutive months with no glitches I will always maintain a backup ISP... and a whole house generator.

I will have to look more closely at the upstream router idea. I am already double NATing through my DSL and T-Mobile connections so I'm not sure how well that would work.
I seem to have more problems with my ISP signal with faster service now than the slower 30Mbps I had formerly. I believe the cable provider has some "shifting gear" problems as some people convert to the faster protocols and some are slower modems, mixed on the same cable pool. 

My guess is Rogers will finally change out all their own customer's modems to the faster protocols and ban the slower modems off their lines. My older modem was capable of 350Mbps but they would not allow my modem to operate faster than 30Mbps on their lines, forcing me to upgrade my modem.

It is a constantly growing technology right now and the COVID stay home has pushed a lot of hands. I thought 30Mbps was fast today, but now finding out I was the slowest modem of anybody I know. US people are tooting 300/300Mbps fibre ISP service for less than we pay in Canada for any speed and no cable shared line dropout BS we deal with either.

LarrylLix said:
I seem to have more problems with my ISP signal with faster service now than the slower 30Mbps I had formerly. I believe the cable provider has some "shifting gear" problems as some people convert to the faster protocols and some are slower modems, mixed on the same cable pool. 

My guess is Rogers will finally change out all their own customer's modems to the faster protocols and ban the slower modems off their lines. My older modem was capable of 350Mbps but they would not allow my modem to operate faster than 30Mbps on their lines, forcing me to upgrade my modem.

It is a constantly growing technology right now and the COVID stay home has pushed a lot of hands. I thought 30Mbps was fast today, but now finding out I was the slowest modem of anybody I know. US people are tooting 300/300Mbps fibre ISP service for less than we pay in Canada for any speed and no cable shared line dropout BS we deal with either.

Last month I quit cable and made T-Mobile Home Internet my primary. Nearly the same speed but much better reliability so far. Eventually plan for T-Mobile to replace DSL as the failover and get Starlink or fiber backed copper from the phone company (just a matter of who gets here first). Spectrum has not not said they have any plans to bring faster Internet to my area... ever. So I'm glad to be quit of them and don't expect I will ever be tempted to go back to cable.

Here just purchased a replacement CPE to use as a backup ISP connection to my primary XFinity cable.

Got slammed by AT&T a few years back on my grandfathered cellular accounts so switched to T-Mobile and have been a happy camper so far.

Yeacomm 4G LTE CPE Router with Sim Card Slot, 4G Wi-Fi Router with 2 RJ11 and 4 RJ45 Ports, Unlocked 3G 4G Wireless Router for Home/Office, Support Voice 

The currently configured CPE has 2 RJ11 ports, wan port and lan ports and a built in AP.  I do not use the WAP and just put one LAN port in a DMZ of the WAN.

I utilize one RJ11 which is patched over to the phone lines here which works well.

PFSense checks the XFinity cable connection and it has had sporadic problems.

Switched over from Ubiquiti to Ruckus WAPs about a year ago and a happy camper.  Good stuff there.

Utilize two two line Panasonic wireless base units here.   Each unit can pair up with two cell phones via bluetooth.

Back