Wiring my house with the walls open

nathan1

Hi,

I will be squeezing in to wire my LV after my GC has his electrician finish his work and before the walls go in. I intended to run speakers to many rooms (16/4 maybe 14/4), CAT6 for HDBaseT/access points/keypads/network and possibly station station wire for future alarm nodes. All of this cabling will be centralized in the basement. I'm also hoping to run empty smurf tubing 2" from basement to attic and then smaller smurftube runs in the perimeter for rooms.

We are doing sprayed in insulation and the first floor has a very open plan (very few internal walls) so some will need to be run in an external wall. I imagine sprayed in insulation will wreak havoc for attempting to try to do any post-construction wall runs so this is where I'm hoping the smurftube will save me.

I'd like to run all of the cabling and just leave it in the wall/box somehow where I can cut open that exact spot later and finish/terminate it as I need it. For example, I don't plan on installing the speakers until I move in and even then I may not install all of the ones I have possibly wired. I just want all of the cabling there.

A few questions that I was hoping someone might be able to advice on:
1) What is the proper way to secure this LV cabling to the studs? What about the smurftube?
2) Can I leave both ends of the runs unterminated and deal with it after I move in? Can I just tuck the tail of the cabling into a box and put a blank plate on?
3) Is there a clean way to do a smurftube perimeter that lets me pull a future run up to a new/old outlet anywhere in the room, in a clean way? How do I bring this perimeter run together with a run that ends up in the basement?
4) What is the ideal conduit setup to deal with being able to pull a cable almost anywhere with ease?

I want to do the quickest and most flexible work possible and deal with everything that I can post-move in (termination, etc).

I'm a network/systems engineer so I'm sure I can over-thinking the wiring and future proofing vs. what I am actually going to use over time but I'd rather have more than less.

Any advice for things that I might be missing or overlooking?

Even lurking, this forum has been invaluable.

Thanks

Back