SuperCircuits compromised?

electron

Administrator
Staff member
I ordered a tiny microphone from supercircuits.com few years ago, and today after I received 2 e-mails in the mailbox dedicated to just supercircuits. This address can NOT be guessed, so either their site was compromised, or they sold the e-mail addressed. Since companies tend to deny these type of accusations, I figured I would check here first before contacting them.

First e-mail I received was legit, titled "Get a Sneak Peek of What's New in our Latest Catalog!", received today, around 11:15AM.

Second e-mail was titled "[We have a cheap Replica_Watches]" and the content was:

Received the 2nd e-mail today as well, around 7:52PM. I replaced the actual TLD with the word 'TLD' to make sure no one clicks on it by accident. Has anyone else noticed something like this?

Dan,

I have ordered several items from them in the past, and have never had any issues. I just checked my email (including junk folder) and have no emails like you describe. If they are compromised, then:
  1. They have not gotten to me yet, or
  2. My ISP is pre-filtering the emails

Regards,
Vector

I ordered from SuperCircuits (a few times) and I'm getting so many spam mails advertising watches that I'm thinking of filtering the word "watch" in with my email filter!

I will pay more attention to the content next time (tomorrow's spam listing) and will follow up.

I can't verify they were the problem as I don't do the dedicated email trick as my superior does (maybe I should start ;) )!

EDIT: One rolled in while typing this reply. :)

Here is the image below...

Attachments

• spmail.jpg
    spmail.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 2
Btw, the 'TO' address in that piece of spam was 'forged', combined from a valid part of my address, and a fake domain, so if you use similar addresses, you might not link it to supercircuits right away. You need to look at the headers to see what address it was really sent to.

That spam did get tagged by my SpamFilter, but because of the e-mail address used, it caught my attention. I sent them an e-mail (their contact form on their site results in a 404) asking for more info. Best case, e-mail address now has to be black listed, worst case, personal info such as CC info was compromised.

They would look into it, but then they stopped responding again. I'll ping them again once I have some time, but until then I am avoiding them.

Back