Moonshine LCD touch interactive wall switch 1-gang - back on the spotlight !

loowee

Hey guys ! This is Louis from Domobec. 

We recently brought back a development project that we beleived in back a couple years ago but that might have been too much ahead of the market.
Now that touch screen interface surrounds us and are part of everyday life, We figured it could be a good time to give it another try.

Here is a link to our kickstarter project posted yesterday :
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/317732460/touchscreen-android-wall-switch-decora-size-wifi-b

Visit us and participate to reserve your first bundled moonshine switch unit a production cost along with other pledges. Thx !

moonshine_flyer.jpg

Very nice!

Will it work on an isolated network not talking to the internet?

I am in the process of weaning automation from connectivity to the internet; well unless I want to get to my automation from the internet.

How is it powered?  It would be nice to use a tiny POE wired network connection.  I mean I like wireless and this would just be another feature.

Adding a camera, audio and sip would make for a tiny intercom and or doorbell (well that's a redesign).

Playing here with a couple of older products.

1 - device which is a wireless access point / firewall / POE single port switch about the size of an automated switch (UPB, Z-Wave, Insteon, X10)
2 - 3Com Intellijack - which is a 4 port managed switch (POE powered and pass through) smaller than device #1.
3 - Tiny 4.5" quad core capacitance Android tablet.  Its wireless and has a front facing camera.  That said its really thin; but the frame around the screen is a bit too large.

Too many KS projects these days with no production-ready prototypes.  They are getting lax over there.  I get that it is sort of a chicken and egg problem of proving the market before devoting resources, but I would expect to see a sample of the actual LCD screen and processor combo as these components are crucial in determining the usability of the product (especially brightness, viewing angle, anti-glare).  As well as detailed specs on flash/ram.  Otherwise I would not feel comfortable committing funds.

I remember this project very well from years past and actually wondered what happened to it (I thought about it just recently).  I think it's interesting to see it back making another run.  That said, it looks like you just threw the previous promotional video up and decided to see if it'd go anywhere - I didn't see much talk about what's different now that might help your success?

• What did you learn from last time that'll help this project succeed now?
  • What changes are you making to the platform? Previously it was CE based - now on the kickstarter I saw conflicting information - some saying CE and some saying Android.
  • What have you done in the years since this was in development previously?  Any newer better prototypes?
  • What else have you as a company done to demonstrate your team's ability to develop a hardware project such as this from idea through execution through regulatory testing and approval?  I can't tell for sure but it looked like the products on the domobec site are from other manufacturers.
I'd love to see this be a success - I can think of a handful of places where that'd be the perfect little interface.  But you'd have to show me why this time would be different.  I want to see what you've learned and what the current prototype has to offer based on today's technology changes.  I want to know more about the team's qualifications and the company's other successes.

The opening in a Decora switch plate is only like 2.6" x 1.3" so a 2.9" screen.  I would rather have a 4" or 5" screen horizontally in a two gang box.

Yup; that would be better Automate.

A couple of days ago showed the neighbor the little 4.5" Android and he did utilize it like a phone; but he had some issues navigating with it.  Simple large graphics would work on it.

Thinking a double box is about 4" X 3.5".  Found a 6" tablet ...didn't know they made them. 

I second a lot of the questions from Work2Play. I noticed this on Kickstarter yesterday and looked back on the Homeseer forums to see how long it had been since there was discussion on it. I was interested in it back when you announced it, but you seemed to let it die.

How have you improved it since then?

Also - I echo Pete's question about PoE. I'd love to put these in the house where I have Cat5e run but not necessarily power.

And the big question - how are you different or better than http://www.getbrightswitch.com/ ?  They look to have a lot more functionality and a bigger screen. They don't do PoE yet, however.

Gatoreye said:
And the big question - how are you different or better than http://www.getbrightswitch.com/ ?  They look to have a lot more functionality and a bigger screen. They don't do PoE yet, however.
I would go with that or maybe the UBE, though UBE or Plum (their present name) seems like vaporware with their perpetual delays. 

Also, you can pre-order the get bright switch for $70 when ordering five or more.

I would never, ever, ever want to replace a physical light switch with a touch screen like this.

I would MUCH rather see an open source, android-powered, 6-7" wall mount PoE touch screen (with flush and surface mounting options).

tadr said:
I would never, ever, ever want to replace a physical light switch with a touch screen like this.

I would MUCH rather see an open source, android-powered, 6-7" wall mount PoE touch screen (with flush and surface mounting options).

Which is why I haven't yet preordered The Bright Switch and was asking the question. I really want a PoE version I can stick anywhere I have CAT5e so Moonshine has a chance to get out in front in regards to that area.

Hey guys ! Thx for your feedbacks, we have updated a new thread in response to all these questions on homeseer's forums.

Here a link to the new thread : MOONSHINE NEW THREAD

Updates :

Thx guys for your support ! I havnt got much time to update the kickstarter website since launch and i know the projected budget and timeframe is tight. I will be taking care of thiz next week but in the meantime, here are answers to your questions :

- unit will be android based ( ics / unlocked )
- it will be able to run hstouch but also other android based apps from any manufacturer ( insteon / etc )
- We are trying to get a 120v-5v transformer inside the unit so it can run directly from the replaced switches power
- it will have wifi connectivity so permanent communication with the controller of your choice
- No windows mobile version, the video is the original from many years ago
- It will be able to run any android app as well like audio distribution controllers or even candy crush for the addicted fellows
- Costs will be brought down but as the material and development is not yet fully defined, it is hard to put a definitive resale price after production has started
- A bundled version is very interesting, we will certainly push this one to our marketing and sales people

Thx again guys ! Do not hesitate if you have more questions !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieb View Post
I like the idea of being able to replace a light swith and taking power from the existing wires. Also the WiFi feature.
It could be very interesting, if price point would be just a tad lower so that I can afford more than one.

That is why we chose to go with the integrated transformer instead of POE.
POE is a nice network feature but it wont allow for an easy installation and we feel most people will be turned down at wiring rj45 cables in walls.

I will add a cheaper POE model that would not need the Wireless feature into our consideration list.
UNIT WILL INCLUDE SPEAKER, THE MICROPHONE CAPABILITY IS NOT YET CONFIRMED BUT A POSSIBILITY.

Thx guys !

Back