Roost WiFi battery

If you're lucky, the only thing it will ever do is alert you when you need to buy a new one. If it had a replaceable battery then maybe.

do we really need a $40 9V battery that connects to the cloud???

No. 

It will sell though because it will be another widget on a cell phone that you can have to play with or look at.

Definitely for people with more money than common sense.  Gotta give credit to the "Roost Team" for thinking up yet another way to capitalize on that fact.

Well geez; while typing above I heard an annoying beep coming from the smoke detector in the basement with the battery and wired to the 120VAC in the home.  Odd. 

Changing the battery 9VDC now and throwing away the old battery.  The PITA relating to this is climbing on a step ladder to get to the device.  I do prefer the 4-wire stuff I installed.

My set up is sort of low relating to WAF as I have done a parallel installation with my OPII 4 wire smoke and CO2 sensor almost adjacent and more to the contractor installed stuff. (which was more DIY labor than I care to think about - but I am not worried about batteries and I can have a widget on my phone if I care to know but do not).

LOL Pete, that is odd timing for sure.

For those with it; I haven't paid a lot of attention to the Nest Protect but I would assume it reports battery status in some fashion too, is that correct? If so, it seems like even though the Protect is more expensive it would be a more worthwhile investment than a cloud-connected battery.

I was just noticing yesterday that my house is just about 10 years old so I need to start looking at replacing all my detectors.  I want to figure out what the best new thing is that's cost effective to replace them all... there surely must be something better than the old dumb interconnected devices I have now - without getting into the Nest smoke sensors.  

Back