A/V baluns: Wall plate and mountable.

jsunstrom

I posted this question over on the HomeAutomation sub-reddit on reddit but am not getting a lot of responses so I thought I'd post over here.

So I'm looking into some a/v baluns that support component and digital audio. I'd like wall mountable baluns for my end points that I just need to run cable from them to the TV's instead of having a CAT5/6 cable come out of the wall into a mountable balun, and then to the TV. Now in my rack, I don't need wall plate baluns and mountable baluns in a rack mounted balun panel is fine, in fact, probably preferred. I think it would look really clean and nice to have a panel of mounted baluns in the back of the rack that my A/V equipment goes into, and those go into a network patch panel. Then I can just terminate the ends of my runs to the wall plate baluns and plug them directly into the patch panel in an organized fashion.
Is this what others are doing? What is the preferred method of doing this? Is it ok to mix brands of baluns?

Yes, that in conjunction with the SR-DEC4-1U looks like exactly what I'm looking for.  How can I buy from them?  I'm not a dealer.  Sorry, noob question...

Here in my home office I put up a 37" LCD close to the ceiling.  A bit heavy.  That said I installed two in wall gang boxes.  One was metal with conduit; the other one a double sized with more depth plastic gang box.  I do have baluns in side plus I also ran rapid run cabling to the box.  This one has a NIC, HDMI, Audio, component, IR blaster port and RG-6 jacks.  Outside though just used keystone wall plates.  It was a bit tight but it looks nice.

On one side feeding the LCD I did a single wall plate with keystone jacks.  This has HDMI jacks, NIC jack and audio jacks.  This one was just a plastic ring with the keystone jack plate on top.  Here too there are baluns.

On another couple of endeavors did (pro bono like) a dental office and used catXX for the audio baluns from the comm closet to the a couple of places in the office.  One run is the entire length of the office and is with the network cabling chases (> 75 feet or so) from the back comm closet to the front reception area.  Worked fine (noiseless). Took the same methodologies to her home doing her master bedroom with an LCD mounted on the wall with a wall insert carrying two keystone jack wall plates sort of angled and in the wall then a separted but in the same little gang box insert HV 120VAC.  The bedroom LCD TV was some 30" inches or so.  All the newer stuff is very modular and has a nice fit and look to it using just regular keystone jacks.

JFab Design said:

I apologize, but I don't believe I have permissions to PM anyone since my account is so new.  There are a few things it won't even let me put in my public forum posts (e.g. links) as well.  At least I can't find anywhere to send PMs, I can't view anyone's profile either.

What equipment are you using in the rack to feed the baluns?  If you're going to be using a distributed video / matrix switch solution - look at the Aton HDR44KT, which is a 4x4 component video matrix, with wallplate receivers with analog and digital audio, plus IR repeating (local and remote).  Rack mounted unit is all RJ45-terminated, so no external baluns to deal with.  Very clean in the rack.  Street price on the solution is $1k...

I've been using these for ~4 years now...

jautor said:
What equipment are you using in the rack to feed the baluns?  If you're going to be using a distributed video / matrix switch solution - look at the Aton HDR44KT, which is a 4x4 component video matrix, with wallplate receivers with analog and digital audio, plus IR repeating (local and remote).  Rack mounted unit is all RJ45-terminated, so no external baluns to deal with.  Very clean in the rack.  Street price on the solution is $1k...

I've been using these for ~4 years now...

I'm actually going to be building this very slowly.  Off the bat it will just be a DirecTV DVR and then in a month or so a receiver.  The audio and video matrices will come later.

Back