Affordable way to operate AV equipment with Ipad/Itouch

ejholt

Good morning everyone!

I currently have a decent size installation of Keypadlincs and I/O's throughout the house in which I primarily use the Itouch/Ipad via Mobilinc (recently thought about getting ekeypad).  

What I am looking for are suggestions for an affordable way to operate my Denon AVR500, Samsung TV, Samsung Bluray and my Western Digital Media player via my Itouch/Iphone/Ipad.
I have seen the Logitech IR blaster (I currently have a Harmony 1 remote), but the reviews weren't so good.  

Any suggestions/recommendations to operate AV equipment via Ipad/Itouch would be greatly appreciated!

Have a great day!

Ed

Welcome to CT!

The RedEye hardware from ThinkFlood is also pretty interesting.  I took some video during the 2011 CEDIA Expo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moeGppNX-Kk

I just setup a GC-100 with CQC to control my system. So far its been great. I've heard some concerns about the delays, but so far its been fine for me. I don't watch much TV so when a guest comes over, that will really test it.

I am currently using the logitech revue for control of my system via an iPad or android tablet.  One of the less-discussed capabilitities of the logitech revue is the fact that it has two IR outputs that can be used to control other devices, such as the TV and the AV reciever and cable/dish box.  I assume that it is similar in concept to the logitech "Link" device to which I believe you are referring when you say "blaster".  While I am not sure that I would recommend purchasing a revue (if you can find one, but maybe there are good deals out there?) or a link just for this purpose, I already had mine, so I thought I would try it out.  It works, but there are definite limitations in the number and types of devices that can be controlled, and lack of macro support on the link is a real bummer.  While I have used my iPad for this, I have settled on an android tablet for daily use because I like the android app "able remote". 

It seems to me that the most flexible approach that keeps getting mentioned for iPad is the iRule app, along with one of the global cache iTach devices.  I have not gone this route (since I already had the revue) but this appears to give one near complete control over any IR or web-enabled device and customization of the interface.  I understand it will also work with your home automation system (in place of mobilinc). 

The only downside for me is that it appears to have a bit of a learning curve.  But, if I were starting fresh, this is the approach I would take.

I have setup several systems using Roomie Remote and global cache devices. They have an extensive IP and IR database. Their support is also quick to respond.

JFab Design said:
I have setup several systems using Roomie Remote and global cache devices. They have an extensive IP and IR database. Their support is also quick to respond.

That looked very good to me, as well, and includes support for insteon and the ISY-994.  Having not used (only read about) this or the iRule app, my perception is that roomie is a bit easier to set up, but not quite as flexible regarding user interface.  I'll bet I would be happy with it, however.

My biggest stubmling block is a desire to save power (rather money).  Cable boxes and Revues and iTach devices take a measurable amount of power when "off" (in fact, the Revue has no OFF state).  As a result, I have all hooked up to a conditioned power supply.  Unforuntalely, this power supply does not have remote control capability and the Revue and cable box take a bit of time to boot up from unpowered state.  Turning my system ON cannot be done via remote control without first switching on the power supply and waiting for all to boot up.

The Harmony Ultimate has just been released by Logitech and the Hamonry Smart will be released soon. Both are the same except for the Smart doesn't have a LCD and only control 8 devices (versus 15). Both remotes can be synced to the Harmony iOS app giving you full control from your iOS device.

Back