Antenna TV Amplifier Recomendations

drozwood90

Title Says it all!

Right now I've just got one from Rat Shack...

Similar to this one...but MUCH older...not "designed" for HDTV (but I bet it's the same thing as this one).

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=3780245

I am curious if there is a real reason (besides the obvious) that I should get something more like this one:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2103913

----------------

The obvious being, that the circuit is antenna, about 30-40' of RG6, Amplifier, 6-way splitter, which then feeds to the two TVs in the house.

I'd imagine, if I put the amplifier up in the attic with the antenna, I'd get better signal integrity. There is one station that comes in marginal (about 36% according to the DTV boxes). My TV's built in DTV stuff was some of the first out there and it doesn't get the lower "powered" channels.

Now, I'd rather use the direct inputs to my TV, as I can watch in 1080, unlike the "box" which down converts to 480 or worse. So, if I were to amplify the signals AT the antenna, wouldn't that be better? According to the attenuation I added, I think I'd need maybe 5-10dB of gain...which I'm hoping I can pick up by increasing the signal levels prior to the run from the attic down into the basement.

Thanks!

--Dan

Dan,

I live around 25 miles SW of Chicago and have 6-8 foot older style RS antenna in the attic. I mounted the antenna on a piece of PVC tubing from one of the braces downwards.

I initially tested the signal strength from Chicago directly connecting to the attic with a small TV. If your reception is marginal in the attic then an amplifier isn't going to help you very much.

I only have two TV's connected to a splitter by the media panel in the basement with a 50-70 foot run of RG6 directly to the antenna.

It works getting digital signals minus one Chicago channel without an amplifier.

Ideally you would want to mount the antenna outside if possible for an optimal signal.

Pete,

Thanks for the information. That's the first thing that I tried.

If I take the antenna's RG6 and directly couple it to a TV (using a barrel in place of the splitter), instead of "low 30's" I get HIGH 40's (48-52). In my case, I believe it's the splitter that's causing the issue. BUT if I don't have the splitter, I don't get the second TV wired in. So, I thought, if I boost the signal 10-30dB, then push that through the RG6, down to the splitter, I'd get enough loss to get a 50-60 signal strength TV signal. The other stations are generally sitting at 70-90. It's just one that's bad. I've even considered getting a tuned antenna, and splicing it into my existing signal cable with a notch filter and diplexer, but for the cost, and effort, I think maybe a booster would do me good.

--Dan

"instead of "low 30's" I get HIGH 40's (48-52). "

An antenna amplifier should work for you then. I have an OTA amplifier in the attic which I disconnected a few years back (older style - Winguard) but never tested for DTV OTA stuff.

Are you using terminator resistors on the 4 other connections on your 6-way splitter?

Initially I ran a lot of RG6 thru the house. I use separate RG6 runs for OTA, Satellite, internal stuff and Cable. IE: behind the LCD in the family room and MB I have 6 RG6 connections.

Found an informational site for pointing your antenna. It creates a nice report of local stations and optimal direction. I used GPS coordinates.

TV OTA Antenna Direction Site

radardigital.png

I have caps on the other splitter outputs. I don't know if they are resistor style or not.

Are you getting rid of your amp?

--Dan

Dan,

Let me test the AMP to see if it still works. If it works you can have it as I don't really have a use for it anymore.

Pete

Looked in the attic and I have a RS amplifier in place but not using it. I did find the Winegard. Its an 82 Channel Booster-coupler model BC-782. You can have it for the cost of shipping.

I checked my OTA signal strength and its pretty good with the setup that I have at this time.

Just thought I would add some quick notes regarding my experience.

I am also in the Chicago area, roughly 45 miles from both the Chicago and Milwaukee stations. I have a Winegard HD8200U antenna installed in the attic. There is a Channel Master Titan 7777 pre-amp that goes to that antenna, and then it comes to the basement where I have a Channel Master distribution amplifier (CM 3418). The CM 3418 feeds HDHomeRuns and a couple of TVs. The preamp makes sure that the signal in the attic makes its way to the basement intact, while the distribution amplifier makes sure that when the signal is split (8 ways, in my case) it stays the same strength also. I have previously used a passive 8-way splitter, but the signal suffered too much so I had to opt for the CM 3418. The new setup is working very well. The antenna is pointed at Chicago, but I can pick up most of the Milwaukee stations as well, and these stations drop out (i.e., minor pixelation) only periodically. This was surprising, since the antenna is pointed the wrong way to be able to receive Milwaukee.

One of the things that was immediately apparent with my install was that a previous owner had improperly terminated the Coax cables. The dialectic was not flush with the connector. My signal strength jumped by simply re-terminating those cables properly.

Hope this helps somebody.

Dave

Back