[Articles] SmartHome announces RemoteLinc 2

CT Droid

CT Bot
2444a2wh8_animated.gif

SmartHome just unveiled their latest INSTEON compatible gadget: the RemoteLinc 2. This tiny remote lets you control your Dual-Band INSTEON equipment (or non-RF INSTEON equipment using their Access Point product). This is basically an INSTEON version (but much better looking and versatile) of the famous X10 SS13A Stick-A-Switch many of us use.

There are various mounting accessories, allowing you to make it look like a regular wall switch, a table stand, or a car visor clip. The battery is a rechargeable lithium battery, and is supposed to last 9-12 months. The battery can be recharged via a standard USB Micro cable.

There are multiple versions available, which offer different faceplates. 1 is decora style, while there is also a 4-scene and 8-scene version. The decora style retails for $42.99, while the multi-scene version runs $44.99. You can pre-order them now, as they will start shipping 9/30/2011.

See below for more pictures.

View the full article

I wonder how hard it is to intercept the rf signal and hack it. If you were to use this to trip a program that shuts down your alarm and opens your door, could it be hacked by a novice or would it require a serious professional? Currently I use a rolling code keyfob that throws a relay connected to a zone on my Elk.

I would stick with the secure keyfob for now if you are worried about RF security. I did send a message to SmartHome about this, just to see what they think.

Back