Audio distribution and whole house announcements

JimS

I know this has been discussed a number of times and have read the old posts but I am still struggling to work out some issues before I put together a system.

I don't need perfection. It will be used for background music and voice announcements.

Cost is a big factor. So is simplicity and SAF. :)

I have narrowed it down to two basic choices:

1. Individual receivers for each zone in a closet. Control via IR for individual room control. IR routed through a home automation computer (Misterhouse, LIRC) Would require running speaker wires. IR could be routed through existing CAT5.

2. Computer speakers at each location. Provides easy local volume control but this defeats control of whole house announcements via HA system. I could use existing CAT5 for signals. Speakers are small which for me is a plus.

Option 1 would have all local control through IR remotes and/or local LCD keypads (I am thinking of using matrix orbital units with LDCproc). The keypads would allow display/selection of various additional things such as weather forecasts, etc.

I am leaning towards option 2 and thinking I could use a computer controlled switch matrix or individual power control of each set of speakers (X10, UPB, etc).

The main issue is how to easily control local volume and still allow the HA system to control it also. I know a number of people have used this option and wonder how they handle this...

I know this has been discussed a number of times and have read the old posts but I am still struggling to work out some issues before I put together a system.

I don't need perfection. It will be used for background music and voice announcements.

Cost is a big factor. So is simplicity and SAF. :)

I have narrowed it down to two basic choices:

1. Individual receivers for each zone in a closet. Control via IR for individual room control. IR routed through a home automation computer (Misterhouse, LIRC) Would require running speaker wires. IR could be routed through existing CAT5.

2. Computer speakers at each location. Provides easy local volume control but this defeats control of whole house announcements via HA system. I could use existing CAT5 for signals. Speakers are small which for me is a plus.

Option 1 would have all local control through IR remotes and/or local LCD keypads (I am thinking of using matrix orbital units with LDCproc). The keypads would allow display/selection of various additional things such as weather forecasts, etc.

I am leaning towards option 2 and thinking I could use a computer controlled switch matrix or individual power control of each set of speakers (X10, UPB, etc).

The main issue is how to easily control local volume and still allow the HA system to control it also. I know a number of people have used this option and wonder how they handle this...

I am planning a simple (in my mind) house audio system with a squeezebox as the "receiver". I will then output the signal from the squeezebox to a cheap a/v receiver, then buy a AB8SS from hacs.com for the 8 zone distribution. it can be controlled via serial or ir or x10.

Back