[Blogs] If the shoe fits - Video Card Frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Droid

CT Bot
Long before I had started my Hyper-V installation, I wanted to locate my server downstairs, and use my TV upstairs as the monitor. I bought a DVI to Component converter and simply plugged my video card ouput into my receiver to utilize the video switching in my reciever to put the screen on my computer. It was working great and I was enjoying the 1080 video from my computer to my TV upstairs.

When the Virtualization project came along, I had read numerous websites that said Server 2008 R2 is the best (microsoft) solution out there so, naturally, I decided to upgrade the OS. Everything went smoothly except the video. I had to plug a standard monitor into the Video card for the setup and for the life of me I couldn't get a driver loaded for the card. Being a workstation card, there were no Server 2008 drivers. I tried everything I knew. No go. Weeks went by, asking all of my co-workers for any ideas. I was thinking a new video card was in my future.

Then, at the suggestion of a co-worker, I searched the web for cards that were similar in hardware to my card. I have a G-Force 6800 XT, and found that the 6800 GX is pretty close (a slight upgrade). I looked for drivers for it and found the same problem, no Server 2008 drivers. I began trying the same tricks i tried for the 6800XT drivers. Finally, I found one that works. I extracted the Windows 7 x64 driver from the .exe rather than installing it. Then used windows device manager to install just the driver, but not the software.

The OS recognized the card (as a 6800GX), but would not let me select 1920x1080 resolution. I went in to the settings of the card, told it to NOT hide resolutions that this monitor couldn't handle, then manually added a new resolution to the list (1920x1080 @50Hz) and selected it. I then unplugged the monitor, plugged in my TV, crossed my fingers and went upstairs. Voila.

Thank goodness....

That only took, what, 3 Weeks?

sigh.

This thread is not open. If you wish to respond, please respond using the original blog entry link. View the original blog entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back