Clipsal to publish the C-Bus serial protocol for free

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Clipsal to publish the C-Bus serial protocols for free use by application and product developers

Clipsal have today announced that it will publish the C-Bus Application Layer protocols for free access and download. These protocols enable equipment developers and suppliers to integrate their products with a C-Bus system.

Starting in the next week or two, the initial set of protocol documents will be published and made available. These documents include:
  • A guide for developers to use the C-Bus Serial Interface device
  • A description of the different ways to interface a device to C-Bus
  • Over 15 detailed serial protocol descriptions covering the following C-Bus Applications (with more to come):
    • Lighting, Switching and Electrical Load Control
    • Security
    • Trigger Control (including Scene Triggering and Indicator Control)
    • Enable Control
    • Temperature Broadcast
    • Ventilation
    • Access Control
    • Clocks and Timekeeping
    • Telephony
    • Air Conditioning
    • Irrigation Control
    • Measurement and analogue input
    • Pool, Spa, Pond and Fountain Control
    • Device Error Reporting
Later in 2009, additional protocol documents will be added to the published list. This will include Multi-Room Audio Control, and several others still in development.

To aid equipment and product developers, Clipsal will also later this year make available the 5000SM/2 - a small matchbox sized module that can be easily added to equipment to build in a C-Bus Interface. This product has been available for some time to C-Bus Enabled partners - it will now become generally available. A development kit, drawings, dimensions, and so on will also be made generally available.

The existing C-Bus Enabled program will continue - providing a point of contact for equipment developers, support. If desired by an equipment manufacturer, a product can also be tested for conformance under the C-Bus Enabled program - giving customers confidence of a quality product that is endorsed by Clipsal. C-Bus Enabled partners will also be able to purchase customised 5000SM2's or C-Bus micro controllers which will give their product direct support in the C-Bus Toolkit software.

Current software drivers for WindowsTM and Linux operating systems will continue to be provided for free download, as will the fully-featured C-Gate software driver.

Ron Ghezzi, C-Bus Product Offer Manager said "We are very excited about the opening up and publication of C-Bus serial protocols, which will make integration by an already thriving community of developers even easier."

Press Release

This is great news for everyone - even if you don't use C-Bus. I've never understood why companies are so reluctant to release their device protocols. I mean it doesn't give access to proprietary or secret information, and simply allows other people to find more uses for their products. The more uses there are for a product, the more product you are going to sell. Seems easy to understand IMHO.

The more "big name" companies that do this and have success, hopefully the more other companies will follow suit (wishful thinking I'm sure, but we can dream can't we).

This is great news for everyone - even if you don't use C-Bus. I've never understood why companies are so reluctant to release their device protocols. I mean it doesn't give access to proprietary or secret information, and simply allows other people to find more uses for their products. The more uses there are for a product, the more product you are going to sell. Seems easy to understand IMHO.

The more "big name" companies that do this and have success, hopefully the more other companies will follow suit (wishful thinking I'm sure, but we can dream can't we).

I agree that it is good news. I think companies are often concerned that other companies will create compatible products and therefore competing with them without all of the initial development costs. I think this is a valid concern but hopefully the increased sales in being open would supersede the risk and the potential loss due to competitors, and, ultimately, all of the compatible devices and various websites will point back to the main company.

So, does this mean I can develop my own open-source application to interface with C-Bus? :)

I'm an Insteon user of home automation (although I don't mean to bring this up) and I might plan to switch over to C-Bus as my funds increase, but I'm unsure if they have plug-in modules for lights. I'm going to have a look.

Update:
Ah-- It's apparently not as I've went through this website: http://www3.clipsal.com/cis/portal/

Update 2:
I found the C-Bus plug-in modules and wireless gateway to only work in Australia since the plug-in modules is only for Australia-based outlet, despite that I saw the dollar signs in there.

So, even if I were to download the document containing the C-Bus serial protocol, it's not going to be useful for me.

If you have an ELK M1 you may not need to get into protocol commands as there is a C-Bus inerface for the M1 that is now rock solid. I am in Australia which is where the interface has been developed by Ness Security ELK's Australian technology partner.

Ness have been working on and with Clipsal for probaly 3-5 years bullet proofing and importantly cerified C-Bus approved interfaces. Clipsal run a very tight ship on what is approved to operate on the C-Bus so any commercial device that is designed to interface onto the C-Bus must be appoved by Clipsal other it will not be supported. The Ness interace has the full Clipsal approvals.

Not sure when Elk are releasing the C-Bus interface to the US and world market but I have the Ness C-Bus version 3 installed on my M1 system and have a complete C-Bus house. I am absoluetly wrapped now how tightly and seamlessly the C-Bus interface works with the M1. Clipsal being an Australian company (well it was until a German comapany bought them out a few years back) has seen C-Bus here now for arround 15 years and I gotta say the system is robust as and the user interfaces keypads etc are very nice and very elegant.

Anyone contemplating a new house build should have a look at Clipsal or in the US Square-D, might not be the cheapest system but I reckon it might be hard to beat.

For what it is worth!

Cheers,

Fleetz

Back