D day approaches, need guidance please!

Thanks for the diagrams, so much better to see it than just reading it. Well after working today I only have rought 2.5 to 3hrs left before insulation goes in and drywall starts. Today I was able to:

1. Get all windows & top plates drilled for automated shades later
2. Ran the resi-gard over the fireplace, in the master bedroom and to both sides of the bonus room

Tomorrow in my last few hrs I have to:

1. Add chases from attic to 1st floor
2. Go back and clean up everything I did today (caulking, twist ties ,etc)
3. Run my cat5e to both thermostats
4. Take pictures and video of all walls while still open

After that insulation goes in so anything I want to do afterwards will have to be retrofitted. Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions

With my Elk, the few weird ones I wasn't originally expecting were:
  1. Wires to the doorbell - so you can detect the doorbell ring in the system
  2. wires for speakers - With the Elk you run separate speakers, even if behind a keypad - good distribution is very important - having a bunch of these throughout the house makes it easy to do voice alerts, etc - without a single loud siren that's obnoxious in one area, but barely audible in others (It's the Elk SP12) - so wiring to put a speaker in each common area was great. Then again, you wired for whole house audio, so you may be able to tie into that for announcements, and just use a backup siren for full alarm condition without power.
  3. Wires to the gates - I like to know when my gates are open and if they're disturbed when they shouldn't be.
  4. There was a 4th, but I lost it - I'll add it back if/when I remember.

Well today is techically my last day. Insulation is suppose to go in tomorrow with inspection to follow Wed & start drywall thurs or friday. Today all I really got done was wiring surround system for bonus room so you can have 5.1 in either direction depending on how you arrange furniture (hope that makes sense), ran cat5e to both thermostats and had to run another cat5e wire. I can say the worst feeling of all during wiring was when I was drilling another hole in top plate for more wires and cut a cat5e. Having to run one lonely wire for awhole run really sucks so word to wise, not a good feeling at all. Was going to do some wire chase from attic to wiring closet but GC would only allow some 1in chase (4x). I opted not to do them at all and when I get in I finally found good spot where I can put 2 or 3 2in chase from attic to wiring closet which wont be a big deal at all.

At this point I'm just wore out and tired of thinking about what I could have done better if I had more time or thinking of more wire I can run. I wish they would start insulation/drywall so I wont be tempted anymore and we can move on. :) I am going to stop by early in the morning and get all of pics and video of all my wiring.

edited...

While I was at the house today I saw they had not come back to finish up my electrical (they missed two plugs in the 3rd car garage, have to move my doorbell out of the dining room to foyer and add a light in the attic on 2nd floor. Since they didnt come back out today, that I assume is going to push things back since they wont start insulation til the electricial is done and drywall can't start til the insulation inspection has passed. Right now I'm to tired to even think about it but I may, just may, have another weekend I could get some more wire ran. If that was the case I would definitely finish up running my cameras, wire all the windows for automated shades and run a few misc sensors. I won't count on that as I'm exhausted at this point but if it does happen I will definitely have to get my 2nd wind and make it happen for sure!

Thanks!

I went by the house this morning and got all of my picutres taken and my video of each room and all wall openings as well. Went back this evening and they were just about finish putting insulation in the whole house. They will have to come back out to finish tomorrow but looks like my time is all but up. I do my pre-drywall inspection in the morning and I should have a concrete date on exactly when drywall will start. I'm still optismistic that hopefully they wont start until Monday morning. If that was the case I would get in the house over the weekend and still try to run as much cable as possible. Of course the exterior walls have insulation but the interior walls are still open and although it wouldn't be easy I would still try to work around the insulation with my staple gun and run as much wire as possible knowing that was my last chance with walls open. If everything goes my way, which of course I would like it to, I would be able to get in over the weekend and finish running:

1. cameras (7)
2. actual wire for automated shades (12)
3. 5.1 surround sound in the great room(only bec it would be easier now, but not a room we plan to use much).

The electricians still haven't been back out (were suppose to come Monday) so I'm going to stay firm on getting them to add the plugs and switches they missed before drywall starts so hopefully this along with waiting on insulation inspection can push things off til Monday. I'm praying for the best, either way I'm happy with what I got so far. Now I see why everyone says to do it with walls open. It has litterally worn me out with walls open so I can only imagine with walls closed.

Thanks everyone,

Wish me luck!!!!!!!

Ok went by the house today and drywall has already started, looks like my wiring job is done for now. Guess now my studying switches from running wires to drywall repairman. Once I get in I will finish running wires for windows and cameras and I can honestly say I will be happy. Then it will be time to get in and clean everything up. I wasnt really happy the way they placed the can at the wiring closet so when I get the chance I will end up redoing the whole closet as well and adding a 50in can and two more smaller cans. One good thing I did find out yesterday when taking more pics with the insulation up was I found anothe chase (pathway) to get wires to wiring closet from other side of the house which I hadnt noticed before insulation was put in so that worked out well also.

Happy for all of the wire I did get to pull but still disappointed because I didnt get to pull my shades or cameras. At least it can be done with my layout and attic access on both sides of the house but its still going to pain never the less I think. I have about 10 windows and 6 cameras I want to run.

Thanks for all those who commented and helped and I'll post again once I can continue. Are there any sites or whatnot that give advie on retrofitting wires, cutting/patching drywall, etc? Has anyone used this tool before and is it worth the money? http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNEPULL-XP1000-LC-Magnetic-Wire-Fishing-System-Newest-Version-/400299326286?pt=BI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item5d33b2fb4e

Thanks!

I have used them but it seems like 4/5 times if you have a wall that needs it, the wires get stuck. If it's an exterior wall, it's easier to fish a pole; if it's an interior wall, you hope it's open without fire blocks, otherwise that won't do you much good; and if it's an open wall, you won't need it. I have used the wet-noodle though - that I find to be pretty convenient.

One tip that I've used - Ask the homebuilder who they use for repairs. After having warranty work done on my current house, I found that those guys could fix anything where you'd never know there was a hole - because they did it all over my house; and they will work after hours/on the side.

The best way to make the job harder on yourself is to be afraid of cutting drywall. You can patch up 10 holes much faster than you can figure out how to route wire between floors and around corners. And at least you know the advantage of knowing where everything is and where the chases are.

I had to do a full retrofit on a 2-story house on a slab... called several LV wiring guys and they just wouldn't take it on... so, I figured out the best strategic places to cut access holes - kept them to 1 or 2 gang so they could easily be covered by a wall plate until I'm done; and kept them in places mostly out of sight (under cabinet, behind doors, in closets/pantry, etc). My biggest challenge was an open livingroom where I wanted a keypad by the door - there was no going up, and it's an insulated wall, 2 stories high. The only feasible way ended up being removing the baseboard, cutting the drywall behind, then fishing across the wall, around the corner, then up the half exterior/half-interior wall (garage was adjacent downstairs) and up into the attic; then replace the sheetrock and put in new baseboard - and, good as new. If it comes down to that, there are always tricks.

I have used them but it seems like 4/5 times if you have a wall that needs it, the wires get stuck. If it's an exterior wall, it's easier to fish a pole; if it's an interior wall, you hope it's open without fire blocks, otherwise that won't do you much good; and if it's an open wall, you won't need it. I have used the wet-noodle though - that I find to be pretty convenient.

One tip that I've used - Ask the homebuilder who they use for repairs. After having warranty work done on my current house, I found that those guys could fix anything where you'd never know there was a hole - because they did it all over my house; and they will work after hours/on the side.

The best way to make the job harder on yourself is to be afraid of cutting drywall. You can patch up 10 holes much faster than you can figure out how to route wire between floors and around corners. And at least you know the advantage of knowing where everything is and where the chases are.

I had to do a full retrofit on a 2-story house on a slab... called several LV wiring guys and they just wouldn't take it on... so, I figured out the best strategic places to cut access holes - kept them to 1 or 2 gang so they could easily be covered by a wall plate until I'm done; and kept them in places mostly out of sight (under cabinet, behind doors, in closets/pantry, etc). My biggest challenge was an open livingroom where I wanted a keypad by the door - there was no going up, and it's an insulated wall, 2 stories high. The only feasible way ended up being removing the baseboard, cutting the drywall behind, then fishing across the wall, around the corner, then up the half exterior/half-interior wall (garage was adjacent downstairs) and up into the attic; then replace the sheetrock and put in new baseboard - and, good as new. If it comes down to that, there are always tricks.

Thank you very much, this was almost like therapy for me ^_^ because I've been thinking of all the wire I could have run if I would have just had another day or so. Well at least I got alot in and now I know it CAN be done later on, I feel much much better...lol
I do like the trick about the 1 or 2 gang plates, I never understood what it meant reading until you just cleared it up for me now. Will help with WAF definitely til I'm done and get all holes patched.

Thanks!

Will help with WAF definitely til I'm done and get all holes patched.
Ha! Dreamer! How many of us ever "finish"? I think for most it stays a perpetual project until it's time to sell the house, then you finally close it all up and make it look good.

This thread covers some retrofit basics

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-design-construction/6038-how-wall-wiring-your-home-theater.html

Back